Creating Management VLAN within 1200 AP

j-tyler
Level 1
Level 1

I have implemented WLAN in a four floor building as per the following e.g.:-

vlan 2 - 1st/3rd floor subnet 2.x.x.2 /24 - SSID Corporate

vlan 3 - 2nd/4th floor subnet 3.x.x.3 /24 - SSID Corporate

vlan 4 - all floors guest access subnet 4.x.x.4 /24 - SSID Guest

currently I have addressed all the AP's in one of the subnets for management, but now there is an issue with dhcp size. Therefore, i have created a separate subnet for management of the AP's only, that won't be used for over the air wireless.

The problem i have experienced is when i added new ip address / subnet / vlan to the AP's i could not get my clients to gain an IP address via dhcp anymore in vlans 2 & 3.

new subnet 5.x.x.5 /24 vlan 5 - management only - native vlan.

all AP's connect onto 4500 series switches where routed VLAN interfaces are the default gw. DHCP server for the clients is physically attached in vlan 3 3.3.3.3 subnet with ip helper on vlan 2 interface 2.x.x.2 on the switch.

I have subsequently re-addressed all devices to be back in native vlan 2 with IP addresses allocated to AP's within that range for management purposes also - all clients can now obtain an IP address via dhcp.

Could this possibly be an arp / mac cache issue or something bigger?

Can anyone offer advice please ?

3 Replies 3

b.speltz
Level 4
Level 4

This one looks like a configuration issue. Can you post configuration?

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Any services offered by the AP (DHCP, RADIUS ...) will only talk on the native VLAN; it sounds like you have a separate DCHP server ... but I thought I'd throw that in, just in case.

I'd go with the other poster that it sounds like a congiuration issue.

If you can, post a config from one of each of the APs on subnet 2 & 3 plus the configuration of the switch (all in the non-working configuration).

Good Luck

Scott

(from Original Poster)

All,

I have sorted the problem. At present we don't currently look after the radius server (soon will be hopefully), but assumed that they had added the NAS devices. The new subnet that I wished to use as a management subnet was not identified as a NAS, thus the access could not reach the radius server, thus the EAP method was not available.

Now added and system seem fine.

thanks for your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card