Views
Helpful
Replies

Decrypt a wireless WEP key from across the country

Dean Romanelli
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I recently started a new job where there is no documentation whatsoever anywhere. I have about 200 access points spread across the planet, and the majority of them have WEP keys.  I have access to the APs and can see the encrypted versions of the WEP keys in the show run.

I need to decrypt these keys for documentation/standardization purposes.  Are there any ways I can do it?  I tried making a key-chain in a spare router I have here and dropping in the encrypted WEP keys, but the router complained that the format was invalid, so I couldn't do that trick.

R1(config)#key chain decrypt
R1(config-keychain)#key 1
R1(config-keychain-key)#key-string 7 <Encrypted WEP key placed here>
R1(config-keychain-key)#do show key chain decrypt

All the methods online assume you are within range of the SSID physically, which is not the case for me.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think you can pull the key from a cisco radio after it is set. However there are tools to break wep. Ive done it for customers a few times. Do you think the same key is used everywhere? 

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi George,

No unfortunately I believe the keys are different everywhere.  You mentioned you've used tools in the past.  Do any of these tools work when the "cracker" is not physically near the wireless range/SSID?  I.E. I'm on the East Coast, WAP is in California.

Are these aps controlled by a WLC ?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin