Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP assignments and AP Groups

I am having an issue in which I have AP Groups working perfectly fine, but when a client moves from one building to another the DHCP assignment of the "first" AP Group is retained when the user accesses AP's assigned to another AP Group.

For example, Laptop1 has an address of 10.2.1.110 in AP Group1. When the user moves to an AP in Group2, the Laptop1 retains the 10.2.1.110 instead of getting a new address from Group2.

Traffic still works perfectly, but I need them to inherit the IP sheme of the AP Group they've moved into (application requirements).

Our setup is very similar to this document: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml#configs

We have a 4402 controller with 37 1131 AP's. All AP's are assigned an AP group in their respective buildings and the VLAN DHCP and traffic works perfectly fine in each.

DHCP services are provided by a Windows 2003 server as both wired and wireless clients are required to be in the same subnet for application purposes.

The controller and AP's are in native VLAN 10.

I'd appreciate any assistance in determining why the controller or DHCP server is not recognizing the subnet change for the client.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: DHCP assignments and AP Groups

This is normal behavior as long as the client can roam from an ap on AP Group1 to an ap on AP Group2. If you want the device to reassociate from one building to another, then you have to put the ap's on a different WLC with a different mobility group name. If all ap's are on the same mobility group, then you will have the seamless roaming like what you are seeing.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
3 REPLIES

This is normal behavior as long as the client can roam from an ap on AP Group1 to an ap on AP Group2. If you want the device to reassociate from one building to another, then you have to put the ap's on a different WLC with a different mobility group name. If all ap's are on the same mobility group, then you will have the seamless roaming like what you are seeing.

-Scott

Thanks for your response- That's definitely not the behaviour I was expecting or hoping to see. Wish there were another workaround for this issue!

Well, if there is open space between buildings and you don't need to have roaming in between, you can adjust the TX power settings or the Data Rates so the user would drop and reassociate to the other buildings AP?

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content