Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

DHCP Flow in remote branches

Hi everybody!

I need your help for a Wireless project.

The network scheme is this one, I have Lightweight APs distributed and a pair of WLC 5508 centralized.

We use a pair or SSID for all the branches, concretly Voice and Data.

All the branches has a local DHCP Win2k3 Server, and APs get its IP address correctly from the local DHCP, but the wireless clients obtains the IP address from the centralized DHCP Server, because all the DHCP traffic go trought LWAPP/CAPWAP tunnel to WLC.

I want that the clients get its IP address from the branch DHCP, i have reading and i think that we need to use H-REAP with local switching configuration and the correct vlan mapping in local switch and H-REAP for it works that we want. Is it correct? Is possible that the client obtain the IP address for the local/branch DHCP Server instead of the Local DHCP?

Thanks for your help.

BR/

Everyone's tags (2)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: DHCP Flow in remote branches

Tat is just what HREAP / flexconnect is for. It will keep your local site traffic local

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ruben,

Wlecome to CSC. Yes, you are correct. If you would like local DHCP to happen, then yes, you need HREAP local swicthing enable. This will allow wireless clients get a local IP address and all traffic will DUMP at the AP and NOT transverse the CAPWAP tunnel.

What are you using for wireless security. As this could be important on how your voice works romaing wise.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
6 REPLIES

Tat is just what HREAP / flexconnect is for. It will keep your local site traffic local

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ruben,

Wlecome to CSC. Yes, you are correct. If you would like local DHCP to happen, then yes, you need HREAP local swicthing enable. This will allow wireless clients get a local IP address and all traffic will DUMP at the AP and NOT transverse the CAPWAP tunnel.

What are you using for wireless security. As this could be important on how your voice works romaing wise.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Hi George,

Thanks for the Welcome and for the response.

It has been very useful for me.

And how could discern to deliver different IP Subnets to the diferent branches with the centralalized DHCP and the same SSID for all the branches, is it possible? I mean, Somethink like the DHCP Relay/IP Helper, i think that the wlc make all the the DHCP Discovery request with the same IP Virtual Interface...

Thanks again!

Ruben Baltasar.

Here give this a read. All your answers are contained within..

A quick reply, yes helpers are added to the L3 interface to help direct the ip address for the local subnet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

With flexconnect you're going to map the VLAN to the SSID on a per AP basis. So each ap has the same SSID but the tragic is dumped to the local clan for that site.

After that, the traffic follows normal routing policies at the site. So if on the L3 interface for the site you configure the up helper and point it to the server that is centrally located that's where DHCP will come from. So long as the server has the scopes configure that is

Steve

Thanks for your reply, it´s clear the traffic flow when it occurs in H-REAP AP.

But my question now is other, in case that the AP doesn´t support HREAP and it works normally, how can i configure the controller for a centrallized DHCP assigning different IP addresses based on the branches that the WLAN Clients belongs.

Note that i have a only Interface and WLAN SSID for all the branches. Is it possible do this? I have to configure a interface per branch on the controller with the same ip address schema that branch has?

Thanks for your help.

Views
Helpful
Replies