Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DHCP multiple BVI's (Cisco AP 1042)

Hello experts.

I was searching a lot , but I couldn't find any good example, how to configure DHCP server for our wireless clients on Cisco Autonomous AP.

I'm looking for example how to configure Dot 11 radios and BVI interfaces.

I have no problem to configure DHCP server on BVI 1 and VLAN 1 ( native VLAN ) interfaces, but there is a problem with other BVI's and VLANs.

Maybe this feature isn't supported? Maybe DHCP server feature is supported to work just with default BVI and native VLAN? (1)

Thank you for your time and for your answers.

Everyone's tags (4)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Bronze

Hi ,

The stand alone enterprise Cisco access points have a DHCP feature avialable, but it is limited.

Once you configure the DHCP feature on the stand alone access points it will only be able to provide IP address to wireless clients on an SSID that is linked to the same VLAN as the IP address the unit has on the BVI1.

For all other VLANS you will need to use an external DHCP server.

4 REPLIES
Bronze

Hi ,

The stand alone enterprise Cisco access points have a DHCP feature avialable, but it is limited.

Once you configure the DHCP feature on the stand alone access points it will only be able to provide IP address to wireless clients on an SSID that is linked to the same VLAN as the IP address the unit has on the BVI1.

For all other VLANS you will need to use an external DHCP server.

Hi fbarboza,

Thank you for your answer!

Also as I tested, we can get IP address from AP DHCP server on different VLAN if we are using IP-helper command on other device (etc. switch/ router).

With "IP-helper" command, we must point to another BVI IP address.

Re: DHCP multiple BVI's (Cisco AP 1042)

If there is anyway to use external dhcp then plz do.

Dhcp configured on same ap works only with clients share same subnet/vlan with the ap management ip address. For other vlans you need external dhcp server.

The way you mentioned works (using ip helper) but it makes dhcp process slower specially if you have too many clients.

Be aware that the ap is not designed to efficently handle dhcp and wireless communication at the same time.

Clients communication may be affected with your idea. But you can try and monitor it, if it works without impact on wireless users then you can use it.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Re: DHCP multiple BVI's (Cisco AP 1042)

Hi Amjad.

I agree with your opinion. I also would not recommend for others to use this solution. Just let you know, that this could be working in that way

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content