Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Disable SSID broadcast on Aironet 350

I only have four clients to this access point, which I have hard coded the SSID on to them. I want to keep programs like NetStumbler from knowing the AP is there. I have WEP, TKIP, and MIC installed for security I just figure if you can keep someone from knowing that an AP exists you have won half the battle. Is this possible?

Thanks,

Tim

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: Disable SSID broadcast on Aironet 350

Turning on broadcast SSID on AP allows AP to send SSID in beacon packets .

Beacon is like keepalive packets . Clients like XP , searches for any wireless

network in nearby area to connect to it . So for such clients it is useful to turn

on broadcast SSID . I guess your dlink also worked on same principle and got connected .

As SSID is transmitted in every beacon it is consider as security risk and document suggest not to turn on broadcast ssid .

SSID is NOT for security reason although many people consider ssid as security measure .

Even you turn off broadcast ssid in beacon packet by turning off ssid on ap ,

probe request and proble response will always contain the SSID . there is no

way to hide the ssid .

You can reduce the coverage area ( or cell ) by reducing the transmitt power .

This is also one of the security step .

Nilesh

I use the WEB to mange my AP 350s, if you use the WEB interface go to AP350 Radio Hardware page and you will see a line "Allow Broadcast SSID to Associate" with a radial button for yes or no. Select no will stop the AP from broadcasting the SSID.

Gary

Thanks for your reply Gary

I have that feature turned off, but it still does it.

Views
Helpful
Replies