Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Disabling specific mac adresses

I have some older Cisco Workgroup Bridges but I have upgraded the firmware. I was curious if I could disable access for just specific mac addresses on the Ethernet port of a WGB340. I don't want to have to change anything in the authentication server, I just want to add a filter to the bridge if possible.

I can do it with my Lucent equipment easily, but I am not sure how to do it with a Workgroup Bridge.

Any Ideas ???

• Security and Network Management
2 REPLIES

Re: Disabling specific mac adresses

The Workgroup Bridge is only going to work with the first 8 MAC addresses it hears on the wire, or the 8 it has configured. You could always fill the "unused" buckets with bogus MAC addresses, thus blocking access from other than the desired MACs.

Re: Disabling specific mac adresses

I know this was posted almost 2 yrs back. I ran into the same problem. At any instant of time, I want to allow only one client behind the 350 series workgroup bridge. I tried creating 7 dummy MACs and left one for the legitimate PC. I didn't add the MAC address of the PC though. It is not working. Does anybody experienced the same kind of problem?.

As a workaround, I am adding the client MAC address to ethernet client (in 35 WGB it is Option 1-> Option 3-> Option 3 ). This seems to be working fine. But it won't work in environment where customer have a desktop and a laptop. Everytime they want to switch between computers, MAC entry has to be changed in WGB. It would be nice if I can dynamically allow only one computer at any given time..

Thanks

Raga

Views
Helpful
Replies