cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disabling SSID Broadcast

admin_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have an Aironet CB21AG 802.11b client adapter installed in an IBM ThinkPad T22 connecting to a Linksys BEFW11S4 802.11b wireless router. One of the security essentials indicated by Linksys is to disable SSID broadcast after all wireless devices have been configured.

When I do so the link between my laptop and the router is lost. The adapter's user manual indicates that if the SSID is blank on the Available Infrastructure and Ad Hoc Networks page - which it is when SSID broadcast is disabled - you cannot activate the network.

Is there anyway to ensure the Aironet client adapter is able to communicate w/my wireless router with SSID broadcast disabled?

1 Reply 1

dsidley
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, just enter the SSID that your are using on the AP into the wlan config utility you are using on the laptop...

This way your AP will not accept association requests from any wireless client except those who are configured with the correct SSID.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card