cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need two WLANs on WLC to support WPA & WEP users?

limtohsoon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Sir,

I have a WLC infrastructure in my company.

I'm configuring a WLAN for vendors with 802.1x supplicants. User accounts will be created on the ACS or backend authentication server.

Most of the vendors support WPA. Some only support WEP. Having said this, should I create two WLANs; one to support WPA1+WPA2, another to support WEP? I notice we can't configure WPA and WEP together in a single WLAN.

Please advise.

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

7 Replies 7

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

Assuming the vendors are of equal trust levels, I don't see harm in setting up 2 SSIDs (required - one for WEP and one for WPA), and mapping both to the same controller interface. I have mapped several WLANs to the same interface without issue in the past.

Depending on your environment and how many vendors don't support WPA, a common option would be to have a few loaner cards that do support it. It may not be practical in your environment, but if the consultants are there long-term, it might be worth the hassle for the extra security.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

When you said mapping several WLANs to the same interface, are you referring to "AP Groups and Site Specific VLANs"?

Thank you.

B.Rgds,

Lim TS

Hi Lim,

"AP Groups and Site Specific VLANs" are something different then what previous poster want to explain.

What he means is just create 2 WLANs and configure one WLAN with WEP and another with WPA. Now when this is done on WLAN page itself youhave to bind the WLAN with interface to assign it to a specific VLAN. And that time you can select same interface from drop down for both the WLANs.

Now in this scenario you will be having 2 different WLANS with different security options but all on same subnet and same vlan.

Hope I am able to make it clear.

Regards,

Ankur

Ankur,

Is there an equivalent LWAPP version of WPA Migration Mode? The IOS APs support a config for WEP and WPA, I believe. Any Cisco reps please chime in.

Hi,

I wish to configure wep & wpa2 using the same AP bit different ssid or vlan . hope U can show me the command or can this be done. It will be good if U privide me a working sample for me to test out in my lab. Thanks

Mc

Hi Mc,

Are you using a controller based architecture for your wireless network or autonomous APs?

Regards,

Ankur

Hello all,

Does anyone know which method is better? WEP or WPA? Someone told me WPA is more securer than WEP. But I thought 128 bit Dynamic WEP with TKIP will be better design. Am I correct?

thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card