Views
Helpful
Replies

Enabling MAC authentication prevents all associations; Cisco Aironet 1100

tim_cullen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All:

I recently installed a Cisco Aironet 1100, relevant configuration info as follows:

Only one SSID, not broadcast

40-bit WEP required

Open Authentication for this SSID

No VLANs defined for this SSID

With this configuration, I was able to associate several devices to the AP, and gain access to the tcp/ip network (Hardwired DHCP server providing IP addresses).

When I add MAC address authentication (Local List Only) to the open authentication for this SSID, No devices are able to associate to the AP, regardless of whether they are present in the MAC Address list or not. All devices were rebooted, all had the same WEP key as before, and none were unable to associate. I then removed required WEP authentication (leaving MAC authentication enabled), and still no devices were able to associate (and again, it didn't matter whether these devices were on the approved MAC address list or not).

Any thoughts?

Thanks much,

tim

2 Replies 2

sbilgi
Level 5
Level 5

MAC address filters are powerful, and you can lock yourself out of the bridge if you make a mistake setting up the filters.

Make sure that you have put your own MAC address in the list of allowed MAC addresses.

The follwoing documetntmight be of some help to you:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/wireless/airo_350/350brdgs/brscg/br350c3b.htm#61311

cobrien1473
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having the same problem with a slightly different setup:

Only one SSID, not broadcast

WPA-PSK mandatory

Open Authentication

No VLANs

With the above, I am able to associate devices to the AP, and also gain access to the network through a DHCP server.

As soon as I enable MAC address authentication (Local List Only) to the open authentication, I have the same problem Tim is having. No devices are able to associate. I had actually copied the MAC addresses from the association page before enabling the authentication and pasted them right into the local list.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: