Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexconnect Groups / AP Groups, best of both?

I'm considering using Flexconnect at a couple of small remote sites and like how in testing Flex Performs.  However, at these sites, I only need a couple of my main WLAN's and NOT my guest WLAN.  So how, with flex, can I determine what WLANs are available as if I was using AP Groups?   The logical reasoning behind this is that at this site, I don't have a need for guest services as this location (hospital) already has a guest service, but primarly I don't want to send my guest network back over my slower wan link nor do I want to spend for a local dsl line to shove guest services too...  Thoughts?               

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can still use AP Groups with Flex connect.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
5 REPLIES

Yes, you can still use AP Groups with Flex connect.

HTH,
Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

How so is my question?  If in NCS you configure the AP, under AP group you can either select the FlexConnect Group you have created, or you can select the AP Group you created, but not both?  And under FlexConnect groups, I don't see where you can add and remove WLAN's that are available or even RF settings for that matter.  You can set this via CLI?

they are two different features.  FlexConnect groups are used for key caching, so you may need to have two templates one that pushes the AP group, and another that pushes the Flex config

HTH,
Steve

Re: Flexconnect Groups / AP Groups, best of both?

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding.  I realize that the groups have different concepts behind them, however my question/issue/want is to have the ability to set both of these groups to a single AP.   I don't know how to do that, or if it's even possible which it should be considering the groups do seperate things.

Let me give you another scenario:

In the near future I will have a site that I will be using all FlexConnect configured AP's at.  Probably around 15 to 20.  As we move to an EAP authentication method, I will also be putting a radius box at this location for local auth and to force the FlexConnect group to use the local radius sever.  However, despite the fact this site is on a nice connection currently (100 meg fiber), if that goes down, it falls back to a T1.  As such, I want to disallow my guest SSID of showing up (AP Groups) but maintian the use of the local Auth server (FlexConnect Group) for the private wlans.  How do you apply both when in NCS anyways, only one AP group can be configured per AP even though the Flex Connect Group is completedly different then an AP Group?  That's my issue..

Edit: Keeping in mind that the 5508 controller these AP's connect to support other locations, hence the need for Groups to begin with in any scenario.

Re: Flexconnect Groups / AP Groups, best of both?

OK Guys... It's time for a little HAH HAH on me time.  Wow, what a confused mess I was in, I think everyone will appreciate this little story;

So, I just loaded up 7.2 to test with as we're going to migrate to the 3602's, we just moved to NCS from WCS and I have an upcoming project to use Flex (which we have never had a reason to use even HREAP before) so, quite a few new things going.. However, check this out.   I have a new guy I'm training (poor guy) who I gave the project to of learning about Flex and testing it out for our big move.  He's done well with it for not knowing a whole lot, great job actually.  So, I get a 3602 in that I want to play with and test a few things on from home over the long weekend.  So moved the AP from Local Mode to Flex and was going to set the AP Group to 'TheBasics' which is a group I created with of course the basics. 

Well, when I did this, I saw that there was a listing of my known AP Groups and a couple of new ones, one being FlexTest.  At first this didn't phase me, but over vacation I was thinking about our project and realizing I would have a case of needing an AP in Flex Connect Group and an AP Group with limited SSID's.  So I went back to configuring my one lonely little 3602 I'm messing with and I can't figure out how a person was supposed to set the thing to an AP Group and a Flex Connect group, it didn't make sense to me to not have an option in configure mode of an AP in NCS to not set both, but list both Flex Connect Groups and AP Groups together in this one spot of AP GROUPS. 

So even after posting on here, getting agravated with Stephen (sorry dude, I was muttering under my breather "WHY doesn't he understand what I'm getting at?!" and yes, even opening a tac case (sorry Kanu) that I talked to my new guy today and he was going over what he had done did I realize, he created a Flex Connect group called - FlexTest AND an AP Group called FlexTest!!!!  So basically, what I thought I was looking at was in no way shape or form what I was looking at. 

So instead of dinking around with something fairly simple in my spare time, I wasted a lot of time and should have just RTFM'd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  sonofa..   My poor guy didn't understand why I was banging my head on my desk after he started talking.  We have created a naming schema for both Flex Connect Groups and AP Groups.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content