cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Fresh CAP2602E's coverage not going beyond 25meters.Please help!!

I am  to deploy 2504 wlc and 6 pieces of CAP2602E.(external antenna AIR-ANT2524DB-R which I use has been verified to be compatible with AP)

The configs has been done and APs can communicate with the controller, and there is wireless signal but the problem is the coverage of the APs

For APs deployed in open office, at about a distance of 10-15meters from AP, you get just three bars of signal strenght.If you go further to 25meters, no signal at all again from AP.

For the APs deployed in closed spaces, I don't get any signal from AP after say 15-20meters.

I think it has to be some settings on the controller but I really do not know how to rectify this.

Any assistance from this forum will be greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

You can change it from the WLC GUI.

Wireless > Access Point > 802.11b/g/n or 802.11a/n |  Select the AP ,on the right there is a blue triangle, click that then configure the power level and change the Channel there.

Here is the screenshot:

Via CLI:

config 802.11a txpower ap

config 802.11b txpower ap

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Describe how are the APs deployed?  Hanging from the ceiling?  On the wall?  Inside ceiling cavities? 

2.  How many antennas are you using?

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What does the WLC say the access point power is for the radio? How are you measuring the power output of the ap? Are there other wireless networks in the area or other RF sources that may be causing an issue. What channels are you currently using for your access ponits?

I would check to see what strength level your radios are operating at.  If they are at level 1, which is full power, then your only option is to add another AP.  If they are not, then are you using RRM?  RRM has intentionally turned down your radios because another AP is close by(may be).  You could always turn off RRM and manage everything manually, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Regards

Thanks Sandeep.

I do not know how to determine the AP power for the radio.Could you kindly show me how to please.

I am basically using using my PC and some other PCs to check and test the APs coverage distance.There are up to 7 RF sources(existing Dlink APs, Cisco APs etc) which are in use in same building.The controller reports that it sees 7 rogue APs.

I  do not know how to check what channel the APs are operating.Could you kindly show me please.

I am using RRM but I do not know if RRM has turned down the radios.I wouldn't want to do it manually.

Thanks in advance for assistance

Hi,

You can change it from the WLC GUI.

Wireless > Access Point > 802.11b/g/n or 802.11a/n |  Select the AP ,on the right there is a blue triangle, click that then configure the power level and change the Channel there.

Here is the screenshot:

Via CLI:

config 802.11a txpower ap

config 802.11b txpower ap

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Hi Sandeep.

The transmit power is on level 1. I have also make some checks as you suggested.

Attached is a screenshot of some settings.Is there any reason there why I can get at least 80meters coverage?

thanks for assistance

Thank you Sandeep and Leo.

I could get 80meters coverage with each AP in the open office.

For people who might be in similar situation in future, here are the things I did:

1. I discovered there are so many Dlink, cisco autonomuos APs currently in use by my customer and many of them causing intereference, I checked report on Controller to see the channels and discovered the existing APs use ch 1 or 6, so i changed my own APs to use ch 11.

2. I also changed the postion of APs from Wall to ceiling.

3.I enabled cleanair.

The combination of all the above help me.Thanks all

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1.  Describe how are the APs deployed?  Hanging from the ceiling?  On the wall?  Inside ceiling cavities? 

2.  How many antennas are you using?

Thanks Leo.

The APs are mounted on the wall.All the four external antennas protruding horizontally from the AP.

I have four external antenna on each AP.

Thanks for further assistance

Your AP is out and exposed in the open?  And how far from the floor is the AP?

Did you enable CleanAir?  Is TPC enabled to automatic?

Some APs are indoor.They cover 15-20meters.

Some APs are in the open office,These APs cover up to 25meters. it a high rise roof so APs are about 3meters from floor.

I saw on GUI that cleanair is enabled but cleanair operation status says 'down'.

I have attached a screenshots of settings here.TPC is optimal coverage mode.

Go to Wireless > 802.11a > CleanAir.  I think CleanAir is globally disabled.  

Power is hard-coded to full power and one of your AP is hard-coded to operate at Channel 1. 

Hi guys.

I have the following questions regarding this same project:

1. From wireless clients, pings to default gateway returns in 2ms and 5ms.Pings from PCs  directly  connected to LAN by cable returns in constantly at 1ms.How can I modify wireless so ping returns in 1ms.

2.For APs used inside the building, the coverage still is not satisfactory.After about 20meters, my PC gets 3 bars of signal strength. (other autonomous very very cheap Dlink and Linksys APs in the same location gives me even better signal strength)

Your suggestions and recommendations are welcome to address the above challenges

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card