Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Cisco 5508 management interface

Hello,

I'm trying to verify some behaviors I'm seeing with my 5508 controller setup and forgive me for missing anything obvious, I've zero experience with this hardware and clueless on the best practices. With that said... out of the box I ran through the AutoInstall process.

I gave my service port an IP address on my subnet, 10.10.8.0/24 vlan 100 and gave the management interface the ip address 10.10.30.5/24 vlan 130

From my host I can ping the management interace 10.10.30.5 and the interface gateway 10.10.30.1

I cannot connect to the controller via 10.10.30.5 either through the web GUI or telnet

I can connect to the controller via 10.10.8.200 both through the web interface and telnet

while connected to the service port, I can ping the management port IP but I cannot ping the 10.10.30.1 gateway.

We have attached two test 3502I AP's and they found the controller and pulled correct ip addresses, clients can authenticate and access network resources as well as the Internet so for the most part, things are working but it concerns me that the management interface can't ping its own gateway.

Keep in mind, I did no other configurations besides what got configured in the AutoInstall process. What should I look at to resolve?

Thanks!

Mike

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Yes it should be done through the management ip address.  Remove the connection to the service port and I'm betting that everything will work correctly.  You are not able to ping because the service port is causeing you issues:)

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
8 REPLIES

Re: Help with Cisco 5508 management interface

The service port is for out of band management and should not be connected to the network.  If connected tot he network, it should not have connectivity to the management interface of the wlc. 

You can create an ACL to block the service port ip to the managment vlan if you want.  I normally do not connect the service port to the network.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for replying. So access to the controller should be done through the managment interface ip address? I was unable to connect to the controller though that interface. CLI or GUI... neither worked. I was however able to ping the management ip address and it's gateway.

Yes it should be done through the management ip address.  Remove the connection to the service port and I'm betting that everything will work correctly.  You are not able to ping because the service port is causeing you issues:)

-Scott

Michael

I'm curious did you try and manage the wlc while connected to the wifi ? If you did, wlc management via wifi is likely disabled. Just an FYI

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Nice! Okay! Thank you Scott. I will try this first thing in the morning.

@George,

No sir. I was on my wired desktop, on the same network as my SP.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Mike

Let us know if this fixes it or not.

-Scott

I was curious so I drove to the office and gave this a try and sure enough, it worked. Go figure.

Even though I can see why, having the SP plugged into my core switch, unplugging it made it possible for me to connect to the management port via CLI and GUI.

Thanks very much for the suggestion Scott.

Kind Regards,

Mike

No problem.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Views
Helpful