cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can create 2 SSID, same SSID nave and same security WEB?

bundhit_cisco
Level 1
Level 1

My customer would like to use the same SSID for 2 building and using the same security WEB?

Can we do that ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Are you using Autonomous AP or WLC based solution ?

On WLC you can create 2 same name ssid  but the profile name should be different.

Regards

View solution in original post

Hi,

You can have 2 profiles with the same SSID, as long as the profile names are different. But the  security can't match exactly. This is not allowed by cisco:

When creating a WLAN with the same SSID, follow these guidelines and requirements:

• You must create a unique profile name for each WLAN.
  • When multiple WLANs with the same SSID get assigned to the same AP radio,you must have a unique Layer 2 security policy so that clients can safely select between them.

You can explain this thing to your custmoer.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0MR1/configuration/guide/wlc_cg70MR1/cg_wlan.pdf

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Are you using Autonomous AP or WLC based solution ?

On WLC you can create 2 same name ssid  but the profile name should be different.

Regards

I create 2 same name SSID with the difference profile name but if we choose same security policies "WEB". Admin Status will be "disable".

If we change the security profile of one SSID to be "WPA2", admin status is enable but the client can be support WEB not WPA2.

How can we do for this case? or Do I miss some configuration?

Hi,

You can have 2 profiles with the same SSID, as long as the profile names are different. But the  security can't match exactly. This is not allowed by cisco:

When creating a WLAN with the same SSID, follow these guidelines and requirements:

• You must create a unique profile name for each WLAN.
  • When multiple WLANs with the same SSID get assigned to the same AP radio,you must have a unique Layer 2 security policy so that clients can safely select between them.

You can explain this thing to your custmoer.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-0MR1/configuration/guide/wlc_cg70MR1/cg_wlan.pdf

Regards

Hello Sandeep,

Thanks for your reply,

After more than 3 years it works me, i found the answer on the shared link 

I created the seconde SSID with a wlan id greater than >17

On the 2504 you can't have a duplicate SSID with same encryption on the 4400, 5508, 7500, WiSM1&2, and 8500 you can.  The requirement is that, one you have different profile name and the other is that one SSID has to have a WLAN ID from 1-16 and the other from 17-512.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi,

Yes with 5508 wlc(not with 2504wlc) you can create 2 ssid with same name with same layer 2 security but you must do these 2 things:

1. Assign the WLANs to different AP groups.

How to create AP groups: http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/configure-ap-groups-on-wlc/

2. Set the WLAN IDs to a number greater then 17.

Regards

The article was userful for me to implement the unique profile name with same SSID. Thanks a million

Si se pueden tener dos SSID con el mismo nombre, pero con diferente nombre de profile, la clave para que funcione esta en que los ID no sean seguidos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card