cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I verify CAPWAP/LWAPP access point?

Totardo Tobing
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I wonder how can I check / what command shoul I use on non-autonomous access points to see wether they are support capwap or they support lwapp??

Thank you folks..

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On LWAPP only AP, capwap command don't exist bcoz lwapp only AP never join capwap wlc.

If you see commands like AP#lwapp, debug lwapp,... and not capwap commands like AP#capwap, test capwap, debug capwap then it is lwapp only AP.

Also, try this command AP#debug ip udp, if it tries only lwapp and no capwap then it is lwapp only AP. AP that supports capwap and lwapp does discovery on both capwap and lwapp. capwap only AP tries discovery using capwap only.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The fastest way is to use the "sh verson" command. 

If your IOS has a filename like "K9W7" then it's autonomous.

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I think Leo means how to distinguish by autonomous and lightwieght. not between LWAPP and CAPWAP.

Autohomous APs have in their image nam: K9W7 while lightweight APs have K9W8. That is correct. But I think this is not the answer.

In order to distinguish if an AP uses LWAPP or CAPWAP you have first to know that:

- Some old APs support only LWAPP. They do not support CAPWAP (1010 and 1030 for example).

- CAPWAP started with WLC version 5.2. If you have 5.2 or later then your AP supports CAPWAP. (old APs metnioed above are not supported on 5.x. they are supported on up to 4.x).

- Some APs support CAPWAP only. They work onlyh on WLCs with version 5.2 and above that supports capwap. (1140 for example does not work with 4.x, 5.0 or 5.1). While some other APs may work with either lwapp or capwap (1240 works with lwapp if it joing WLC running 5.0 while it works with capwap if it joins WLC that runs 7.x).

Now, in order to know if your AP supports capwap or lwapp:

- You need to know if your AP has any limitation (if it is capwap only, lwapp only or can run on both).

- if your AP can run on both lwapp and capwap you can do follow the follownig steps:

* show version from the AP to know the IOS version running on it.

* Go to this link (wireless compatibility matrix): http://tiny.cc/k08thw

* in the page, look for your IOS versoin that you knew from show version command.

* find what is WLC version that your AP version corresponds to.

* If the corresponding WLC version is 5.2 or later then you are running CAPWAP. If your WLC runs 5.1 or earlier then      you are running lwapp.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

On LWAPP only AP, capwap command don't exist bcoz lwapp only AP never join capwap wlc.

If you see commands like AP#lwapp, debug lwapp,... and not capwap commands like AP#capwap, test capwap, debug capwap then it is lwapp only AP.

Also, try this command AP#debug ip udp, if it tries only lwapp and no capwap then it is lwapp only AP. AP that supports capwap and lwapp does discovery on both capwap and lwapp. capwap only AP tries discovery using capwap only.

Great info Saravanan. +5.

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Totardo Tobing
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to you all guys. You all really helping.

I gues for me an easy-to-read answer is from Saravanan Lakshmanan. Pardon my brain but I really thanks you to you all.

Thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card