Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How many SNMP Hosts can I configure on switches & routers?

Hello everyone!

Simple question.  How many SNMP hosts can I configure on my switches and routers?  I was asked this question and began doing some research but perhaps I'm overlooking it.  So, can I send SNMP traps to more than one host?  Thanks!

Regards,

Terence                  

3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Hi Terence,

Definetely you can send it to multiple hosts by using "snmp-server host command.

I do not know about any max number of limit. If you configure this commands with different IP addresses then you can find out if there is any limit.

HTH

Rasika

Bronze

Maximum number of hosts

While collectd and the SNMP plugin don't have any limitation on the number of hosts you can configure, the library used by the SNMP plugin, libnetsnmp, uses the select(2) system call. This system call uses a fixed-size bitfield to hold file descriptors. On many systems this limits the number of hosts you can query with the SNMP plugin to 1024 (for example when using the GNU libc).

To solve this issue, the netsnmp library must be changed. A solution would be to switch to the poll(2) system call which doesn't have a static limit on the largest file descriptor it can handle.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/configuration/guide/cli/sm_snmp.html

VIP Purple

Re: How many SNMP Hosts can I configure on switches & routers?

HI Ageel

Thanks for giving useful information on this +5

Does the provided URL give any information of how to change these.. I could not find it

Rasika

Views
Helpful
Replies