Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to make DHCP work with WLC2504 and/or AP2600 + a wireless extender/wireless connector ?

Hello,

I tried without success to make the following work :

• An external DHCP server (either router or windows/linus server)
  • Cisco AIR-AP2602 in access point mode
  • Any wireless extender or wireless connector (WAP121, WAP300, WET200, ...)

I have no problem getting things right if the wired client behind the connector has a static IP, but it never works if i go to DHCP. The problem is solved if I use an AP 1230 or 1242 in stand alone mode, but appears again if I also add a controller into the mix.

It seems that the current evolution of the firmwares (WLC and APs) prevents any wireless connector device to work in DHCP (it actually work for itself but not for the clients behind). I must be misunderstanding something because it would be kind of a problem to sell connectors that could never work if all the clients behind are not set to static IPs.

I also noticed that the DHCP server actually allows the lease but the client never gets the answer and sticks to its 169.X.X.X address.

If anyone managed to make this work or has an explanation, i'd be very gratefull !

Thanks,

Jerome

4 REPLIES

Hi,If i understand correct

Hi,

If i understand correct your setup looks like this:

WLC--------------->AP------------>Repeater

Right?

When you try to connect to your AP,does the client get an IP address?

If no,check if your interface you have created for this WLAN has the right DHCP information.

You can find this under Controller-Interfaces-click on interface-DHCP information.

What's the version of WLC?

Regards,

Christos.

Hello Christos,the setup

Hello Christos,

this setup is right, though i'd rather not use the repeater word :

WLC (+ rest of network, including DHCP server) ------------ AP ))))))) (((((((( Wireless connector (kind of like a repeater, and actually the same device most of the time, but it's configuration is only meant to link a wired network with the wireless one. It does not act as an AP)

If it connects directly to the AP, the client works fine (with any wireless device) and gets an address via DHCP so there should not be any configuration problem on that side.

The WLC is  a 2504 in 7.3.112 if i remember well (not currently at work, but at least 7.3.X is for sure).

Thanks,

Jerome

So this device acts like a

So this device acts like a Workgroup Bridge that serves wired clients?

Do you use vlans?

If so try on WLC cli the following command:

config wgb vlan enable

Regards.

Yup, it does act like a

Yup, it does act like a bridge. My final environment uses VLANs but i can't even make this work without them so i'm not yet concerned :p

Also, remember that the problem occurs with AIR 2602 APs even without a controller, so it might be a wrong way to focus on it (but as it also occurs with 1242 with a controller and not without ... meh, it could as much be a good one !).

Views
Helpful
Replies