cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to turn down the signal strength to reduce leakage?

cisco80211
Level 1
Level 1

HOWTO turn down the power on Cisco APs to reduce leakage?

I'm trying to reduce the wireless leakage for a client, to somewhat prevent neighbors from 'seeing' the networks.

I tried turning down the power levels, with no change in signal strength. I'm using Netstumbler and Windows wireless client to 'view' the signal strength.

Any tips?

Chris Serafin

cserafin@rkon.com

chris@chrisserafin.com

4 Replies 4

htarra
Level 4
Level 4

power client command on the access point to adjust the client power

Chris,

depending on your environment you might need to down power your AP quite e bit to make any significant reduction in "RF leakage" out of your clients premises.

If you trying to prevent neighbors form "seeing" the network, on a basic level dont forget to disable the broadcast of the SSID.

Hope this helps

Cheers, Mark

*pls rate all usefull posts

sdoherty
Level 1
Level 1

I did this because management had cisco coming out to do a site survey so I turned the power way down. The signal still showed up across the street - about 200'...

Your AP is too close to a window or wall where this signal strength is possible 200 feet outside.

This is why AP placement and antenna selection are so critical.

Make sure when the survey gets done that the ability to have the signal stop at the sidewalk is on you list of "things you want the infrastructure to do when they finish designing it".

If you do not write it down and present it as an issue you would like resolved...it won't be.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card