Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need to move the RP cable on a High Availabity Pair

Hi All,

I have a pair of 5508 WLCs running 7.4 code.

They are in HA mode.

We need to move the RP cable in order to comply with some specifications with our local data centre.

Is there a way to move this without having an outage?

I was thinking of powering off the secondary controller and then swapping the cable over and then powering on the secondary controller again.

I think it sounds reasonable, but was curious if anyone knew of any gotchas to look out for.

Thanks in advance

regards

alalli

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

You will need to turn off the

You will need to turn off the SECONDARY unit before you move the RP cable. 

If you don't turn the secondary off and you remove the RP cable, the secondary unit will immediately go hot and you'll have a split brain scenario.  If you think that's bad, wait until you plug the RP cable back in.  One of the two will reboot.  

Turning off the secondary unit before moving the RP cable is the best option you've got.

Bronze

Hi,Yes, you have to power off

Hi,

Yes, you have to power off the secondary node, swap the RP cables and  then power on secondary, This is the only option which i got.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

You will need to turn off the

You will need to turn off the SECONDARY unit before you move the RP cable. 

If you don't turn the secondary off and you remove the RP cable, the secondary unit will immediately go hot and you'll have a split brain scenario.  If you think that's bad, wait until you plug the RP cable back in.  One of the two will reboot.  

Turning off the secondary unit before moving the RP cable is the best option you've got.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thank you for taking the time

Thank you for taking the time to rate our posts.  :)

Bronze

Hi,Yes, you have to power off

Hi,

Yes, you have to power off the secondary node, swap the RP cables and  then power on secondary, This is the only option which i got.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content