cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

intel cards and aironet problems

rrrobinson
Level 1
Level 1

I have SSIDs configured on 1231's to support WPA/WPA2. They work fine with Cisco cards/supplicants but intel proset cards (2915ABG for one / I tried the latest drivers from dell and intel) seem to have issues. They will see the SSID and associate, but never pull down an IP address. ACS server shows it as a passed authentication, the AP shows it as associated and not authenticated. The AP config is below. Can anyone offer any suggestions or explanations? Thanks!

ssid <ssidname>

vlan <vlan#>

authentication open eap eap_methods

authentication network-eap eap_methods

authentication key-xxxx

accounting acct_methods

broadcast-key vlan <vlan#> change 600

encryption vlan <vlan#> mode ciphers aes-ccm tkip

6 Replies 6

sungy
Level 1
Level 1

VLAN for you SSID and Int bvi1 are same? If they are different, check your switching infrastructure and make sure that VLAN for SSID is piped through to the router for that vlan. Check helper-address and finally check your dhcp.

sungy

Yes, they are different and I've confirmed that the switching is good. The Cisco cards work just fine using the same SSID.

We had several connectivity issues with the intel 2200bg cards in ibm laptops. We are disabling the intel card and installing cisco cards...quite a bit of labor involved here...keep in mind that the cisco cards are not 100% bug free.

The original problem described is usually an indication of a problem with encryption on the wired side. Are you sure the Intel client supports AES encryption? Also I don't believe Intel earlier clients worked consistantly with CCKM.

nizami.j
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, How was the performance in open security mode, with no encryption??

rduke
Level 1
Level 1

I ran into a similar problem on one of my ssid's using the Intel client. That particular ssid is configured for WPA-PSK (TKIP + AES). It turns out the Intel client profiles have a check mark for "personal security" or "enterprise security". For some reason mine would not work with personal security selected. When I enabled enterprise security and selected WPA and TKIP (WPA)it works fine. It does not make sense but that fixed my problem.

R Duke

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card