Views
Helpful
Replies

IP Masqurading in routers

ramesh.krishnan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am running BGP on my Cisco7204 router. I have a network of 8292 nodes. the gateway for all my nodes is the router mentioned above. I connect to an ISP with another AS. I too have an AS number. I want the request send by nodes in my network as to be seen by my ISP as request coming from only one IP..ie.. the WAN IP provided by my Service provider.Is this possible.

Ramesh Krishnan

6 Replies 6

t.graham
Level 1
Level 1

If you are saying you want all your devices appear to be addresses with the outside address (ISP side) of you router, then this is done simply with NAT. One caveat, however, is that the number of simultaneous connnections will be limited depending on the IP port number (socket) you are trying to hit.

If you are running an ISP behind your ISP and are trying to mask it, it won't work because you won't be able to supply enough IP ports to cover all internal IP addresses. If your ISP gave you a range of IPs (like a /28) you might be better off.

graham,

NAT is a good option.Thanx for that.But i have no IPs provided by my ISP except that of the WAN IPs. I have a network of /19. Still is it possible?

Regards,

Ramesh Krishnan

It's still possible. If you are running out of ports to use for PAT, you may want to consider a proxy solution so that only one device is translated.

Tony

h.taher
Level 1
Level 1

I guess that could be done.....

salbardak
Level 1
Level 1

What kind of services are these nodes behind this router seeking ? There many possibly solutions for what you want to do however more info is needed for best solution...

Selim

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card