Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

IPv6 address tracking and how to query them NCS

According to http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bae506.shtml

'

Private (also known as temporary) addresses are randomly generated by the client when SLAAC address assignment is in use. These addresses are often rotated at a frequency of a day or so, as to prevent host traceability that would come from using the same host postfix (last 64 bits) at all times. It is important to track these private addresses for auditing purposes such as tracing copyright infringement. Cisco NCS records all IPv6 addresses in use by each client and historically logs them each time the client roams or establishes a new session. These records can be configured at NCS to be held for up to a year.'

I'm using NCS 1.1 , controllers are 5508's running 7.2.110.0,

Can anyone point me to a way to query those records that keep the ipv6 addresses ?

If enter an IPv6 address in the NCS default search form of a dissasociated client, the address can not be found. If I do the same with an address of a currently associated client it works fine.

Anyone an idea how to query the old records ?

Thanks

Everyone's tags (3)
2 REPLIES

I'm also very interested in how to do this. I run the exact same hardware and software.

To answer my own question, apparently you can get the records by running the 'client sessions' report and include the Global unique address field.

If you schedule this as a weekly job you'll get CSV where you can search in.

So the data is there, but searching for it doesn't seem possible.

Views
Helpful
Replies