Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to load balance 2 Cisco 5508 Wireless Controllers?

Good Afternoon Guys,

--- I have 2 WLC's 5500 that I have to set up on my network with the same configuration except I am not sure that they can be load balanced.

--  My only thought is to take a full class C and on each WLC set up a /25, thus each device can provision 120 IP's

--- This seems a bit archaeic, but is there anything else smarter to do? Can they be load balanced?

Let me knowa, thanks

14 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Is there a way to load balance 2 Cisco 5508 Wireless Controllers

They can't be load balanced the way you are talking about.  You need to look at how you want to do redundancy.  You can split the access points between the two WLCs.  So in this scenario, if one WLC goes down, the AP's would move to the other WLC.  You would need the same license on each WLC.  SO if you have a total of 100 AP's, then you would need a 100 license ap count on each WLC.  Then 50 can be placed on one WLC and 50 can be placed on the other WLC.  There is no HA as of now.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Re: Is there a way to load balance 2 Cisco 5508 Wireless Control

Thank you Scott. I was leaning in this direction but I was hoping for all the money the company spent on these devices that there would be a smart way to LB these devices.

Thanks again

but this one says that we

but this one says that we dont need to have licenses on both controllers,

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1130-ag-series/qa_c67-714540.html

please advice,

Aashutosh

Depending on the topology the clients would be on one controller or the other (depending on AP registration) better to have an external DHCP server so your clients are served equally and can roam around without issues, plus it's a lot tidier if one of the controllers fail.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks Kev. You input was just as sound and vital as well. I do appreciate the replies.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

In addition to what Scott has to say, are ALL the APs in the same location or are they spread in different buildings?

Cisco doesn't recommend splitting the WAPs into different WLC because it would make roaming difficult. 

Just to add... here is a nice doc that explains the redundancy.  In the future, HA between WLC's will be available, just not now.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/controller/deployment/guide/dep.html#wp1170102

-Scott

Hi there

Found this one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml

Can the HA function also support Active/Active HA (e.g. 20 WAP on one WLC, 20 WAP on the other WLC)?

Thanks,

Norbert

No it can't. Only the primary will support APs. HA doesn't really function too well at the moment. N+1 might be a better solution but I still prefer to have redundant WLCs with both WLCs supporting APs.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Thanks a lot for the fast answer...

Below email trail might help

Below email trail might help - 

Thanks a lot,

That answered all my queries,

Regards,
Aashutosh Mahajan
IT Helpdesk

-----Original Message-----
From: Cisco Case Management [mailto:cisco_sales_case_management@external.cisco.com] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 2:40 AM
To: Aashutosh Mahajan
Subject: RE: Inquiry about Wireless Controller 5508 for HA 

Hi Amit, 

I hope you had a great weekend!

Since you are deploying 50, you need to use two (2) 5500 Series Wireless Controller for up to 50 Cisco access points with part number AIR-CT5508-50-K9, no need to buy extra license just make sure twenty five (25) AP from AIR-CT5508-50-K9 must be connected to the other AIR-CT5508-50-K9 and that goes the same thing for the other AIR-CT5508-50-K9, make sure to connect it to the first one we connected to obtain active/active connection HA and in this case you now achieve load balancing.

The price for AIR-CT5508-50-K9 is $ 22,495.00.

Please see referenced links below for details.

Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controllers Data Sheet, Table 3. Ordering Information for Cisco 5500 Series Wireless Controllers http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/data_sheet_c78-521631.html

Does that answer your questions? 

I’ll be waiting for your response. Thank you.

Just to let you know, I will only be able to keep this case open within 24 hours. After 24 hours, this case will be closed by the system automatically. If you have further questions, reply on this email so we can continue working on this case. Otherwise, you will have to create a new case by calling us again or create a case online at www.cisco.com/go/ph.

Best Regards,
Sir Dan Ticzon
Global Virtual Engineering - Partner Help

Sent: 3/27/2015
To: Cisco Case Management [mailto:cisco_sales_case_management@external.cisco.com]
Subject: RE: Inquiry about Wireless Controller 5508 for HA 

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response,

We are looking for a deployment with total 50 access points,

In this case can you please let us know part numbers of controller (5508) and license we should go for to achieve load balancing and high availability,

Regards,
Aashutosh Mahajan
IT Helpdesk

From: Cisco Case Management [mailto:cisco_sales_case_management@external.cisco.com]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2015 3:04 AM
To: Aashutosh Mahajan
Subject: Inquiry about Wireless Controller 5508 for HA

Hi Amit,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Global Virtual Engineering. It was nice speaking with you today. I have provided a summary of our phone conversation below.

Q: I am inquiring about wireless controller 5508, we are planning to buy 2 of it, consider about load balancing and HA on the 5508, we actually want to know what license should we buy, can you help us?

A: Yes, as I checked, you only need one license, and you can quote two (2) wireless controllers 5508 Series and this will provide high availability. Let me cite you an example. If you will quote 2 x AIR-CT5508-12-K9 as this will provide high availability. The HA SKU acts as a standby controller but it can scale much higher to support hundreds of APs. There's a great page that explains it.

Please see the following page for more information about High Availability below.

High Availability FAQ,
Q. What is the difference in functionality between an -HA SKU operating as the http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1130-ag-series/qa_c67-714540.html

The AIR-CT5508-12-K9 comes with 12 AP licenses so it's very cheap. This can be backed up with another AIR-CT5508-12-K9 to add high availability (and raising the total AP count to 24). The HA SKU can support 500 access points. And if this was compared with the AIR-CT5508-500-K9 for example, it would be very cost effective. Basically, the HA SKU is only really used for larger deployments

The price of AIR-CT5508-12-K9 with 12 AP licenses is $ 10,995.00.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

The price of AIR-CT5508-12-K9

The price of AIR-CT5508-12-K9 with 12 AP licenses is $ 10,995.00.

Exactly what are you trying to achieve?  "load balancing" the APs by splitting them into two different controllers is not "best practice".  It's OK in a Lab environment but when you're talking about wireless VoIP deployment, inter-controller roaming is not (yet) recommended.  

What's widely deployed out there is to get two 5508:  One with 50 AP license (to support your requirement) and the second one with an HA license.  The HA license enables a full "swing" of your APs to the secondary controller, in under 1 second, when the primary controller fails.  Very good when you've got wireless VoIP deployment.  

Thanks, i have few doubts

Thanks, i have few doubts though ..

When you say get one with 50 ap licence and other with HA licence, Do you mean two identical hardware units and one extra HA license?

For eg - 2 air-ct5608-50-k9+HA license acc my req?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

When you say get one with 50

When you say get one with 50 ap licence and other with HA licence, Do you mean two identical hardware units and one extra HA license?

No.  TWO 5508 appliances. 

The first one will have be AIR-CT5508-50 (50 AP license).  The second one will be a 5508 but with HA license.  With the HA license, you can link the two up and form a single logical unit.  

Read and understand about HA SSO HERE before making the purchase.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content