Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Issue on client proxy settings with BBSM 5.3 server

Set-up Infra:

We have a present set-up of a BBSM server, a Cisco 2950 Base switch and a Cisco 2801 router at the central site. On the remote site is another Cisco 2801 router and a Cisco 2950 switch.

Problem:

On the central site, upon checking the BBSM's Enable Transparent proxy, proxy settings are no longer required on the client workstation, After logging in the Access code on the central site, Internet access is available however i could not Log in to Yahoo Messenger & be ON Line.

On the remote site, I still need to apply proxy settings on the clients workstation before I could connect to the Internet.

Question:

1)How can I access the Yahoo Messenger on the Central Site?

2)How can I access the Internet as well as the Yahoo Messenger without enabling proxy settings on the client workstation?

2 REPLIES
Bronze

Re: Issue on client proxy settings with BBSM 5.3 server

When you enable transparent proxy you are forcing the packets over port 80 with a source address of the external interface of the BBSM. Any applications that require a port other than 80 will not work.

It sounds to me that the remote site is not configured properly in BBSM. You should not need to enable proxy to allow connectivity through the BBSM. Make sure that there is a router defined for the far side router and that the information regarding the gateway and client information is correct.

Re: Issue on client proxy settings with BBSM 5.3 server

When you enable 'Transparent Proxy' on BBSM53 it proxies all traffic regardless of client settings. I presumed that this was a feature to get around the problem if you have Guests on site with pre-configured, hard-coded proxy settings that did not match your configuration.

So by enabling TP, you should be able to access the Internet without touching your proxy settings.

As for Yahoo Messenger, check your default ISA server settings. They will probably have a protocol filter enabled that is blocking this type of traffic.

Packet46

Views
Helpful
Replies