Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Issues upgrading controller and lightweight AP software

Hello all.

I have a topology of one central Cisco 5508 controller on which a collegue has upgraded software-version from  7.0.116.0 to 7.4.110.0.

A number of 125 ligthweight remote AP's are managed and controlled from here.

There are 4 pcs. AIR-LAP1142N-C-K9 that are problematic getting active.

They have been reset physically and when powercycled, I se on the controller CLI they register and have an IP-address. Then I switch to the GUI of the controller and see they are downloading primary software version  7.4.110.0, claiming that present version on the AP is 3.0.51.0.

They also downlaod the "default-group" WLAN configuration.

All this is done with AP's attached to native VLAN on the switch as a clean access-port. The plan was to change configuration to a specifik WLAN-group and configure the switch they attach to as a trunk, since there is flexconnect in this configuration.

The AP's can be PING'ed during this phase but then the controller fails to PING them after 12 - 18 minutes download time. After that they can not be PING'ed and I can not invoke a new attempt of registering and downloading by simple powercycling of the AP's. They stay attached and if their uplink switchport is changed to trunk, the AP's reflect this. They regularly send out a single packet on the VLAN of size 364 bytes.

Since "remote" means a different country, I must use a remote tech to handle resetting, etc. So I can not just try this and that but must arrange and pay for each visit they do.

Any ideas of what is problematic?

My first idea is that the jump from 3.0.51.0 to 7.4.110.0 could be it.

My second idea is to ask remote local tech to attach a terminal cable to the console port of one of the AP's and let him send me the log from a new attempt, to get an idea of what goes on.

Hope someone has a good idea of the problem. Pls. request more info as needed.

Regs

Ole

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Issues upgrading controller and lightweight AP software

Well you should of used v7.4.121.0 and that version you have installed has issues. The other thing is that your AP's are downloading across the WAN... So is the WAN pretty big that the transfers are not being interrupted? It's hard to say, but I would upgrade the WLC to v7.4.121.0 and see if the AP's are able to pull the image.

There are other ways you can try to fix this, but it will require someone out there the TFTP the RCV image to all the AP's. I'm guessing nothing has changed except for upgrading the code on the WLC?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
7 REPLIES

Well you should of used v7.4.121.0 and that version you have installed has issues. The other thing is that your AP's are downloading across the WAN... So is the WAN pretty big that the transfers are not being interrupted? It's hard to say, but I would upgrade the WLC to v7.4.121.0 and see if the AP's are able to pull the image.

There are other ways you can try to fix this, but it will require someone out there the TFTP the RCV image to all the AP's. I'm guessing nothing has changed except for upgrading the code on the WLC?

-Scott

I'll take a note on 7.4.121.0.

No, nothing has changed except the version. So it might be a question of persistence. I will check the WAN-utilization over the 24 hours to arrange a new attempt at a more suitable time.

Any idea why the AP's seem to get stuck in a loop? They are powered by PoE but power-cycling doesn't seem to make hem retry to connect. So a tech must go out and reset them manually for each attempt.

I can only speculate from my experience. A few times I have seen that was either due to the download being interrupted or when the flash was corrupted. Either way, I had to clean out the flash and upload the RCV image to get the AP to download the image from the WLC. It's really hard to say what happened with your AP's. If you had any local AP's, did those fail also? If you rebooted the WLC and all your AP's started downloading, that could cause congestion on your WAN and could of caused the downloads to fail. Did all your AP's fail, most or a few?

-Scott

Yes, there is a history of exactly what You guessing. It has been handled by a collegue who is off to holidays, so I am doing a cameo-role to get the last 4 AP's connected.

There is even a thread here on it: https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2263561

So actually everything went as You say.

The most secure way out is possibly to do as You suggest in first reply. Send an RCV image to the local tech and ask him to set up a tftp-server, then start up the transfer via a console connection.

Are You aware of a online description of this process, that I can read?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Can you RDP to the tech at the site?

If you can RDP to his computer or laptop, connect the laptop to the AP via console cable and go into Hyperterminal.

Reboot the AP and post the entire bootup process.  There's got to be a reason why the AP can't find the WLC.  Most of the time this is caused by DNS and DHCP not configured to reflect the Management IP address of the WLC.

Hello Leo,

I can ask the local tech to connect his terminal to the AP console port. Then reset the AP and log all output and mail me.

This might be the next action point, since by now I am guessing.

The AP's actually CAN find and connect to the controller with the information they get from DHCP. I see them start downloading, so the info from DHCP-server "241 option 43" should work well. This comes as an IP-address, not via a local broadcast to "cisco-capwap-controller" DNS name, which is not used in the setup.

Regs

Ole

I am happy to say, that I am on the track now. The solution was to change the native VLAN on the trunk setting to 1, from what is actually configured which is a differing VLAN number.

This allowed the AP to have an IP-address which I in turn could use for an ssh session.

The problem and solution is described here:

http://supertekboy.com/2014/01/13/cisco-lightweight-access-point-will-not-join-to-a-wireless-lan-controller/

And it was a search for the log-essages which made me find it. It has been addressed on this forum previously.

%CAPWAP-5-SENDJOIN Invalid event 10 & state 5 combination

Thank You for You time and effort, both.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content