Views
Helpful
Replies

Join-Request not received by WLC

janesh_abey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm in the process of upgrading autonomous 1242(MIC) APs belongs to an external client of to make them part of the existing lwapp based infrastructure.

I could observe successful Discovery negotiation.Next,AP sends the join-request but WLC debug does not indicate receiving it.

1.wireshark packet capture indicates that Discovery & jOin processes use indentical ports at each phasee-this will rule out the firewalls.

2.no duplicate IPs

3.controllers are not exhausted with APs

4.DHCP option 43 is configured and could see it in action when I do a dhcp debug

The other interesting observation is that I could not see any certs on autonomous APs before conveting them to lwapp when I issue sh crypto pki certificates

Please refer to the attachment for debug outputs.

Any help is much appreciated.

cheers,

janesha

28 Replies 28

Hi Leo,

Unfortunately, AP does not allow me to configure lwapp ap controller ip address x.x.x.x command.

However, I created a dummy ACl and enabled logging for the IP range of the controllers and AP manager addresses.Applied this on the uplink to client and I cannot see the traffic to AP-manager coming through although I can see the Discovery-request coming through.So it is definitely something blocking on the client side.

cheers,

janesha

Hi Janesha,

Configure? You don't need to enter into configuration mode. Just enable mode and enter the command.

Hi Leo,

My apologies as I did not word it properly.Basically,AP does not accpet the command under enable mode.

cheers,

Janesha

Hi Janesha,

Wait a second ... The AP doesn't accept the command? Is the AP running on the Autonomous IOS or the LWAP image?

Hi Janesha,

Wait a second ... The AP doesn't accept the command? Is the AP running on the Autonomous IOS or the LWAP image?

Well I converted it to lwapp using the upgrade tool.Therefore it is running lwapp image.

Can you do a "sh version" and post the result?

Janesh,

Did you open up UDP port 12223 on the FW?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

FW is managed by the client and according to him everything all the traffic from our side is permitted to the subnet where the APs are on and vice-versa.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Janesha,

On the AP, can you post the result of the command "dir"?

Janesha,

If you can see traffic going to the mangement interface, then the ap's are doing what ther are suppose to.... the issue I though is that you were not seeing traffic when you spanned the wlc ports. This is because UDP 12223 is not reaching the wlc or that you have a duplicate ap-manager ip address, which you don't have since you have other ap's on the wlc. When the client say's they have everything open, are you sure there isn't another FW in the path.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Fella,Leo,Gamccall and all,

The problem I had was that Join-request from Ap not received by the controller AP- manager interface.

Problem is solved.It was their freaking FWSM which was dropping packets to the AP-manager.Sorry for wasting forums valuable time.

cheers,

Janesha

Not a waste- this is why we're here. The next time someone runs into this problem, you'll be able to answer it for them =)

Glad you got things squared away!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Janesha,

Now you can tell the client "it's your freakin' FWSM's fault!". :}

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card