Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 2 security with WLAN auto-anchor mobility

Aaron.Koves
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I was wondering if Layer 2 security can be used with auto-anchored WLANs.

I need to deploy two new isolated WLANs which will terminate in two DMZ environments.

I was hoping to use the existing WCS-managed infrastructure with 4404 and 4402 WLCs and just throw on a couple more WLANs.

However, I've built a little test environment and while I can get the new VLAN traffic tunneled and origininating from the correct anchor controller with no layer 2 security - as soon as I turn on WEP or WPA security options it stops working. I can't find anything in documents or this forum to show auto-anchor mobility with anyhing other than unsecured guest WLANs.

Am I trying to do somethng unsupported or is it just an error on my part?

4 Replies 4

Aaron.Koves
Level 1
Level 1

Never mind.

It appears I was just impatient :(

Waiting a few minutes after changing the layer 2 security settings resulted in successful tests.

D'oh.

grzegorz.ciolek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Aaron,

I have similar problem with one of my clients. But they need Layer 2 security with Guest access L3 security. Are you using L3 sec in your scenario?

Regards

Greg

Hi Greg,

no, the users are internal so I only want to use L2 security. I can't see that L3 should be a problem to add on though. I'm using 3.2.x of the WLC code - so there is no "Guest LAN" mode - I was playing with the new versions and it looks like L2 security is disabled in that mode?

If you want to see how I got my bit working I would be happy to share my doco when I'm done.

regards,

Aaron

Yeah I had the same problem. Can not use some L2 when L3 is set.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card