cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Layer 3 LWAP Configuration

jawwalit
Level 1
Level 1

I am deploying Lightweight Wireless solution at my company. The APs only support Layer 3, and it is stated in Cisco that when you operate LWAPs in Layer 3 mode, they MUST obtain their IPs through DHCP. However, I assigned them static IPs and they worked, so can anyone explain to me why this happens?

1 Reply 1

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jaw,

APs will work with static ip address but to give static ip address either your APs should join controller and then you can specify ip address from controller OR you can have to take your APs in rommon to configure them with static ip address which is not a very feasible and easy solution.

So to make your AP join first it should get an ip address from DHCP server. Also if your APs are in different subnet then controller then you need to pass option 43 or dns information to the AP about your controller management ip address which is only possible through DHCP server.

And that is the reason we state that when operating in L3 lwapp mode APs must get an ip address through DHCP.

Can you confirm how did you assigned the statis ip address to APs?

Regards,

Ankur

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card