Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Leap and Radius! Other brand cards that are compatible

Our network guys are fixing to build a wireless network with the Cisco Leap and a Radius server for authenticity. I need to know if Cisco is going to make a wireless card for the Compact Flash slot. I have some Tablets and PDA's I would like to use but the don't have PCMCIA slots. If not are there other companys that have wireless cards that are compatible with this authenticity. I am currently working with Symbol Technologies. They say their card will work with this authenticity. The only authenticity I see in the settings on this card is for Kerbos. Does Kerbos work with a Radius server? If not can they build a Kerbos server to be a second way of authenticating the user on the wireless network?

1 REPLY

Re: Leap and Radius! Other brand cards that are compatible

When symbol says their CF card will work within the LEAP architecture, they likely mean using MAC authentication. While it is possible to run LEAP and MAC authentication concurrently, it does significantly weaken the security provided by LEAP alone. It is relatively easy to capture and spoof a MAC address that is valid using simple tools.

Symbol has recently licensed the LEAP architecture from Cisco, but does not yet have any products available supporting this. I have not heard of specific plans for supporting LEAP on their CF product.

Symbol is, however, your best hope for CF/LEAP support. They are partnering with Cisco and, as stated earlier, they have already licensed the LEAP architecture.

Cisco's current product line will not support the Symbol Kerberos security mechanism (at least not in any way I've seen).

Views
Helpful
Replies