Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LWAP management with a tool like HPOV

Hello,

This is my first post on the Support Community

We are deploying a new wireless infrastructure with a WCS (7.0.172.0) / WLC (7.0.116.0) and AP AIR-LAP1142N-E-K9

This AP are in lightweight mode.

I know that we cannot do a SNMP polling directly on the AP.

For the moment we monitor the AP's only by the traps sent by the WLC.

My question is : Is it possible to poll continuously the AP's status (up/down)  maybe through the WLC or the WCS ? if yes how we can do that ?

The goal is to monitor all the network with only one tool (HPOV) and the AP's integrated on our supervision map.

any help will be gratefull

David K.

Everyone's tags (4)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hello David,

Yes you can poll AP status continuously if you know the OID that provides the AP status (I don't exactly know it unfortunately).

But you can simply get it if you collect packet capture of the traffic when the WCS tries to show the status of one AP. The WCS will pull AP information from the WLC and you can get the OID.

You have also the option to configure your HPOV as a trap receiver on the WCS so that the events (configurable) detected by WCS be forwarded to notify some other parties.

look into this:  http://tiny.cc/jm3ljw

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is it possible to poll continuously the AP's status (up/down)  maybe through the WLC or the WCS ? if yes how we can do that ?

You poll the SNMP values of the WAP via the WLS and yes, we've done it.

You can have a myriad of options.  You can be pedantic and poll how many radios are up/down and compare the amount of  WAPs.

We've done the same but you will need someone who can do scripting as well as SNMP. 

The goal is to monitor all the network with only one tool (HPOV) and the AP's integrated on our supervision map.

Not sure if HPOV can do this but we just use a simple HTML server.  It's as simple as that.

2 REPLIES

Hello David,

Yes you can poll AP status continuously if you know the OID that provides the AP status (I don't exactly know it unfortunately).

But you can simply get it if you collect packet capture of the traffic when the WCS tries to show the status of one AP. The WCS will pull AP information from the WLC and you can get the OID.

You have also the option to configure your HPOV as a trap receiver on the WCS so that the events (configurable) detected by WCS be forwarded to notify some other parties.

look into this:  http://tiny.cc/jm3ljw

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is it possible to poll continuously the AP's status (up/down)  maybe through the WLC or the WCS ? if yes how we can do that ?

You poll the SNMP values of the WAP via the WLS and yes, we've done it.

You can have a myriad of options.  You can be pedantic and poll how many radios are up/down and compare the amount of  WAPs.

We've done the same but you will need someone who can do scripting as well as SNMP. 

Not sure if HPOV can do this but we just use a simple HTML server.  It's as simple as that.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content