cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LWAPP and routed network

mburtin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I wish to connect LWAPP AP on a remote office. The controler will be reachable through on OSPF L3 network. Moreover, I wish to define my WLAN VLAN on the remote office so as the WLAN client have a remote IP and are switched by the remote switch.

AP--[L3 swith]--OSPF---[L3 backbone sw]--[LWAPP controller]

Is this architecture possible ??? (either with a 4400 controler or with a WiSM card on a 6500)

Thanks for your help?

5 Replies 5

prakashj
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You can go ahead with WISM card on 6500 switch,And your N/W architecture is correct.Keep point the N/W till the edge switch and same as core.

Thankx

Saji k.s

Darren Ramsey
Level 4
Level 4

Sounds like you are wanting H-REAP... Normally the AP does a LWAPP Join to the controller, and the SSID is bound to a Dynamic Interface (Subnet/VLAN) connected to the controller. If you run H-REAP, all authentication is still LWAPP tunneled back to the controller, but the AP assigns a remotely defined IP address to the remote clients.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

Please rate if this helps.

Yes, that's it.

It seems to have many limitation as it's WAN-like architecture. However, in my case, OSPF links between AP and WLAN controler are Gbps optical links! so I guess it will be performant..

I wish to pass Voice and DATA packets through this architecture. Do you know if there are specific limitations?

Regards

If you have Gig between the AP and controller, then I'd classify that as LAN :) I would not worry about LWAPP traffic.

The only way I'd recommend H-REAP is if you have resources at the remote site that need to be accessed directly from the wireless clients. Let's say you have a Cisco Call manager GW at the remote site. It would be inefficient to encapsulate the voice traffic via LWAPP and send back to the controller in the data center, only for the controller to send the packets back to the Call Manager GW on the remote network. It all depends where your resources are located. If I needed to keep traffic local to the remote site, then I might think about a 2006 or a small 4402. Remember if the link goes down with H-REAP, then so does any dot.1x authentication. I believe only static WEP and WPA-PSK will survive when H-REAP is cut off from the controller.

Hello all,

I think that if that passes through a L3, you need H-REAP. and if you have Gig link that will be a benefit for you.

But I think that in case of AP more than 8 a local controller is the best idea.

Also with H-REAP, not all APs can support that!!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card