Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LWAPP / CAPWAPP Frame tagging into packet ?

Dear community,

I would like to know if by default the frames between the AP's and controllers are tagged.

By tagged I refer to a QoS tagging like 41 for i.e.

I know that UDP 5246 & 5247 is used,

We would like maybe to trust applications / systems but we would need to ensure such uses correct QoS values.

Thanks

Everyone's tags (6)
7 REPLIES

The outter packet (CAPWAP) is routed. At the AP you should trust DSCP. At the controller port you should trust COS, becuase your switch to controller will be switched. Also TAG your managment interface on the WLC.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Dear George,

Thanks for your explanation,

• So at the AP we can reasonably say that Local or FlexConnect mode is tagging the packets with a proper DSCP, correct ? (If yes which) ?
  • At the controller port same case or I should tag everything ? (Any how to or white paper) ?
  • How can I tag the management interface, directly on the WLC ? (Any how to or white paper) ?

The idea would be to avoid having Qos based on ACL (Hosts, port etc...) just trust the AP / Controller and they provide the good QoS value.

Thanks

Here is a good start that will anwser most of your questions .. Cisco WLC QoS Guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807e9717.shtml

As for controller taging. You would configure the controller in LAG mode and then enter vlan number in each interface including the managment. Then trunk on the switch side. When you eneter a VLAN number on the controller it will tag. If you leave it 0 it will not tag also called native. It is best to TAG all the interfaces. You will find this in the config guides.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Thank,

I read this guide quickly, but it is quite old and doesn't really answer to my base question...

But I think you misunderstood my question, it is not about VLAN tagging, this is very clear for me, it is about QoS tagging, the ability to have the AP and the WLC to tag packets with a proper DSCP value.

In other words ensure packets used by UDP 5246 going directly in the proper QoS class just by trusting them....

Then we trust that directly without doing ACLs rules on top of that,

I hope it is more clear

Upstream traffic the client needs to mark his traffic. When the packet hits the AP it will transpose this QoS marking the CAPWAP header. The capwap packet is then placed on the wired with this priority. Keeping in mind the WLAN QoS settings have a play here. If the frame coming in from the client is higher than what is allowed in the WLAN the AP will mark it down. If it comes in lower than the WLAN marking it leaves it alone.

Downstream to the client. Similar in that the frame is marked my something (client or application) and works it way back down the wire to the client. Drawing a blank there is something else that goes on here that is different. It will come to me in a second and I will respond back. Its been a bit since Ive played with this ..

if you want to get fancy and mark frames that arent marked by a client then you would have to use AVC which is found in later code on the WLC. Keeping in mind upstream traffic gets marked at the WLC and not the AP. The AP cant mark this traffic up.

VIP Purple

Re: LWAPP / CAPWAPP Frame tagging into packet ?

Here is some guideline what to Trust

1. Local mode or Central switch flex connect : Trust DSCP

2. Local Switching Flex Connect : Trust COS if you want to classify user traffic or Trust DSCP if you want to classify Control traffic (in this scenario you have to choose ONE which is most important to you in your environment)

http://mrncciew.com/2013/07/23/qos-for-h-reap/

3. WLC connected port: Turst COS

To enalbe QoS on WLC management interface you have to make sure managment vlan on WLC is not native vlan between WLC & Switch.

4. Switch to Switch link: Turst DSCP

Also important to understand & configure WMM settings correctly on your WLANs in addition to QoS profile

http://mrncciew.com/2013/07/30/wmm-qos-profile/

HTH

Rasika

Step 1 Disable the 802.11a and 802.11b/g networks so that you can configure the QoS profiles by entering these commands:

config 802.11a disable network

config 802.11b disable network

Step 2 Change the profile description by entering this command:

config qos description {bronze | silver | gold | platinum }description

Step 3 Define the average data rate for TCP traffic per user or per SSID by entering this command:

config qos average-data-rate {bronze | silver | gold | platinum} {per-ssid | per-client} {downstream | upstream}

rate

For the rate parameter, you can enter a value between 0 and 512,000 Kbps (inclusive). A value of 0 imposes

no bandwidth restriction on the QoS profile.

Note

Step 4 Define the peak data rate for TCP traffic per user or per SSID by entering this command:

config qos burst-data-rate {bronze | silver | gold | platinum} {per-ssid | per-client} {downstream | upstream} rate

Step 5 Define the average real-time data rate for UDP traffic per user or per SSID by entering this command:

config qos average-realtime-rate {bronze | silver | gold | platinum} {per-ssid | per-client} {downstream | upstream}

rate

Step 6 Define the peak real-time data rate for UDP traffic per user or per SSID by entering this command:

qos burst-realtime-rate {bronze | silver | gold | platinum} {per-ssid | per-client} {downstream | upstream}

rate

Step 7 Define the maximum and default QoS levels for unicast and multicast traffic when you assign a QoS profile to a WLAN

by entering this command:

config qos priority {bronze | gold | platinum | silver} {maximum priority} {default unicast priority} {default multicast

priority}

You choose from the following options for the maximum priority, default unicast priority, and default multicast priority

parameters:

• besteffort

• background

• video

• voice

Step 8 Define the maximum value (0–7) for the priority tag associated with packets that fall within the profile, by entering these

commands:

config qos protocol-type {bronze | silver | gold | platinum} dot1p

config qos dot1p-tag {bronze | silver | gold | platinum} tag

The tagged packets include CAPWAP data packets (between access points and the controller) and packets sent toward

the core network.

The 802.1p tagging has impact only on wired packets. Wireless packets are impacted only by the maximum

priority level set for a QoS profile.

Note

If a QoS profile has 802.1p tagging configured and if this QoS profile is assigned to a WLAN that uses an

untagged interface on the controller, the client traffic will be blocked.

Note

Step 9 Reenable the 802.11a and 802.11b/g networks so that you can configure the QoS profiles by entering these commands:

config 802.11a enable network

config 802.11b enable network

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content