cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC Address filtering

dgerbergss
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently setting up a new 1240ag access point and I would like to do MAC address filtering on them but I seem to be having so difficulty getting machines to connect. I can enable the filter and some machines will connect and then some won't. I do reboots, take the filter off of the internface and reapply it but no dice. I have it were I can get two clients to connect but when I add a third nothing... But if I power down the original two and restart the third I can connect but if I bring the original two back up, they won't connect. I have attached a copy of my config. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The access point is right next to the laptops.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

David

Two things

one: MAC filtering is not supported with WPA authentication. I could not find the reference it is in one of the 12.3 release notes.

two: this is in the release notes WPA authentication is not supported with power save enabled in the wireless client from this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/b38jarn.html#wp47132

Three: MAC authentication is more work than it is worth as most WIFI cards support local MAC address.

Bill

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

David

Two things

one: MAC filtering is not supported with WPA authentication. I could not find the reference it is in one of the 12.3 release notes.

two: this is in the release notes WPA authentication is not supported with power save enabled in the wireless client from this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/b38jarn.html#wp47132

Three: MAC authentication is more work than it is worth as most WIFI cards support local MAC address.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I am running on 12.4 but I am going to check out the release notes and see if this is still an issue.

I stand corrected you did said me the release notes for 12.4. Thanks Bills!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card