cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC Address filtering

dgerbergss
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently setting up a new 1240ag access point and I would like to do MAC address filtering on them but I seem to be having so difficulty getting machines to connect. I can enable the filter and some machines will connect and then some won't. I do reboots, take the filter off of the internface and reapply it but no dice. I have it were I can get two clients to connect but when I add a third nothing... But if I power down the original two and restart the third I can connect but if I bring the original two back up, they won't connect. I have attached a copy of my config. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. The access point is right next to the laptops.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

David

Two things

one: MAC filtering is not supported with WPA authentication. I could not find the reference it is in one of the 12.3 release notes.

two: this is in the release notes WPA authentication is not supported with power save enabled in the wireless client from this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/b38jarn.html#wp47132

Three: MAC authentication is more work than it is worth as most WIFI cards support local MAC address.

Bill

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

bcolvin
Level 3
Level 3

David

Two things

one: MAC filtering is not supported with WPA authentication. I could not find the reference it is in one of the 12.3 release notes.

two: this is in the release notes WPA authentication is not supported with power save enabled in the wireless client from this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/ios/release/notes/b38jarn.html#wp47132

Three: MAC authentication is more work than it is worth as most WIFI cards support local MAC address.

Bill

Thanks Bill! I am running on 12.4 but I am going to check out the release notes and see if this is still an issue.

I stand corrected you did said me the release notes for 12.4. Thanks Bills!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card