cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC and Leap authentication

boonteongng
Level 1
Level 1

I am using MAC address and LEAP authehtication via ACS, MAC address is configured as user in ACS database and LEAP using external windows user database.

If this is a case, can someone use the MAC address as username and p/w to login to the network ?

If I use both the ACS secure DB and ext Windows user DB, which one will be checked first for an username from client ?

4 Replies 4

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

First MAC address authentication and later LEAP..

For MAC address authentication, userame and password both is MAC address and that will be autometic and authenticated against ACS database first. After that For LEAP, username and password will be authenticated against external user database.

If I key in the MAC address in the username and password logon, will the MAC address passthrough both the MAC and LEAP authentiation ?

First the MAC address is verified by the ACS local user database. Secondly, when come to LEAP authentication, since I key in MAC address as username and passwaord, this entry is also found in the ACS local database as a valid user, will it be allowed ?

It depends on what databse you have selected in ACS for LEAP authentication..If you have selected external windows database for LEAP then username and password (mac address for LEAP as you mentined) needs to be in the external database to pass the LEAP..

MAC based authetication using Cisco Secure ACS database.

LEAP authentication using external windows user database.

Can a single logon using MAC address as username and password passthrough both the authentication ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card