cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MAC Authentication with RADIUS only in the first connection?

r.navas
Level 1
Level 1

I got a CISCO AP Aironet 350 setup in a lab with a RADIATOR (RADIUS) Server.

I want just MAC authentication with RADIUS, no WEP, no anything else, so I setup my AP following the guide on the CCO.

The first time a associate with my Laptop+Linksys WiFi PC Card, I can see the RADIUS authentication request coming to my RADIUS server, and I configured it to Accept.

I also have configured RADIUS accounting in the AP, so I receive a Accounting Start as expected on the radius server.

Then, I disconnect my Wireless PC Card from my laptop, and as a result, an Accounting STOP is received in my radius server from the AP... everything works as expected so far.

Next, I configured the RADIUS server to DENY (Reject) all authentication requests and then, I try to associate again with the same Wireless card.

The problem is, that the AP, this time, does NOT send a Authentication request anymore... it just let it associate and send an Accounting Start... as it were authenticated succesfully.

Shouldn't the AP to send a RADIUS authentication request everytime a client device tries to associate???.... I tried several times, and only the first time a device tries to access the AP it gets authenticated... then it always get access without consulting the RADIUS server!!....

Is it this normal? or is it a Bug???

have the Activity Timeouts something to do with it??

Thanks for any information

Roberto Carlos Navas

1 Reply 1

ssoberlik
Level 4
Level 4

Normally,everytime a client device tries to associate the server tries to authenticate.I think the configuration settings in your RADIUS server is creating some issue.

YOu can follow the URL given below for information on this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps458/prod_release_note09186a008007f7b8.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card