cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Mac Filter Wildcards? WLC

ryan.turner
Level 1
Level 1

I'm deploying several hundred handheld scanners and I dont want to create a mac filter for everyone, however that are all the same manufacturer, and that manufacturer only has one mac prefix, is there a way to just put the mac prefix in?  I'm using 5508's running 7.0.116.0.

Help files and searches turned up nothing.

Thanks.

8 Replies 8

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Ryan:

This is unfortunately not available.

It will be great feature if provided but cisco still not doing that.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have a radius server like acs 5 you can put your Mac list on the radius server and you can do mab, mac address bypass. Now I haven't don't this myself, but this will give you somewhere to look further.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Saravanan Lakshmanan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

MAC filtering only method of security is not secure, also mac filtering is useless since the mac addresses are visible on w.less packet capture and it can be spoofed.

Jose Vazquez
Level 1
Level 1

My problem is the opposite. I would like to ban / disable mac address begining to a given manufacturer because:

- my wireless clients are of the same manufacturer

- someone is scanning repeatly during months with hundreds of different fake mac address -but all of them begining with 00:0e:8e- and they are highly populating the excluded client table.

I suppose there is no solution for that until now

Thanks,

Jose

There is no wildcard for Mac filter. The whole MAC address has to be entered.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

mmangat
Level 1
Level 1

Please check the following link which describes how to use MAC filters with WLC.

"MAC Filters with Wireless LAN Controllers (WLCs) Configuration Example"

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008084f13b.shtml

Jwaas9876
Level 1
Level 1

If you wish to deny access to a single wireless client by using their MAC address - use the following command from the CLI on the WLC:  config exclusionlist add <enter mac address> <description>

This was in response to j.vazquez.c issue.

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

This feature is not available.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card