Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Manage AIR-AP1262N with WLC 5508

hello,

is it possible to manage a air-ap1262n with a controller like wlc 5500 or wlc 2500?

the official cisco support could not answer me this question for sure.

i have found this old guide to upgrade ap´s to lap´s, but there is hothing about the 1260 in it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html

i am a little bit confused!

the cisco documents tells:

"at_a_glance_c45-636090.pdf"

->

A wireless network with standalone access points offers a low-cost, entry-level

solution that does not require a controller. It is ideal for small-scale networks with less

than 20 access points, and offers base-level wireless functionality with the flexibility to

scale and add services over time by adding a controller.

<-

but the cisco helpline tells that they cant say it for sure - they cant find anything about that it would work and nothing that it dont work.   ...and they have no one they could ask!^^

now I hope to find an answer

thanks and greetings

erik

• Security and Network Management
Everyone's tags (5)
4 REPLIES

you would need to convert the AP to run the CAPWAP image for the WLC to be able to control/configure the AP.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

thank you steve!

what image do i use to convert the ap?

You use the recovery image, it's under the Lightweight AP IOS software.

WIRELESS LAN RECOVERY

ap3g1-rcvk9w8-tar.152-2.JA.tar

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Bronze

Hi,

As mention by Steve, download the recovery image and then upgrade the AP IOs using the archive command over the CLI and instead of using the IOS image you use the LWAPP.

The supported AP is set by the code the WLC has and not the model of WLC.

The 1262 APs are supported starting code 7.0.98.0

Here is the link where you can check on all the release notes on different codes for the WLC, and you can see which APs are supported on each code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/prod_release_notes_list.html

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.