Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Managing the Network: Preferred clients / least preferred clients?

Hello all,

I'm currently in the middle of another vendor show down in regards to thin clients and what wireless cards I'm willing to accept from them.   In thinking about and looking at my other options, I begin to wonder how others handle this.   I try my best to wrangle in what mobile devices are bought by demanding a specific wireless brand of card.  But as we all know, this is not always possible, nor logical.  Some devices that must be let on the network, from layer 8, will never have your 'preferred' brand and the only thing you can do is test, test, and test some more.   Personally, I'm an Intel guy.  They are not the beefest of wireless cards compared to some, but to me they seem the most solid and most importantly, have solid driver support.  Currently I'm fighting vendors on the Ralink brand.  They seem to have issues roaming, even on the latest driver release, and fail in high RF enivornments.   What are your thoughts and preferences.  How you found one that gives you indegestion thinking about?  Why or why not?

• Security and Network Management
2 REPLIES

Managing the Network: Preferred clients / least preferred clien

Raun,

I applaud you for taking the time and stance of testing your wireless supplicants. People often forget WiFi is a 2-way communication and the supplicant is OFTEN part of the problem when you have wireless issues. Like you, I am an Intel and Atheros guy. I have not used Ralink a lot, personally.

I will say this. Test it. Document the flaws. Looks at the latest drivers. Open a ticket with the manufacture. This is the best you can do. Other than adding a cisco ap as a WGB to the device. Which in most cases, this is not ideal. BUT in some cases they are.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Managing the Network: Preferred clients / least preferred clien

Hey, thanks for the reply and kind words George.  On atheros, I've used them a lot personally in a nix environment with out issues, but in the enterprise environment, I've had issues.  On the specific card I was dealing with at the time, an ar5006 i believe, I determined it was simply lack of driver availability.   This was an odd case of my company taking the cheap route and installing mini-pci card into a small form factor pc for mobility on a cart.  What atheros cards have you found that have the best support? Are they primarly in a enterprise class device, such as HP?  I'm quote curious as I'm still looking to get away from wyse and their ralink's and have found no thin clients with intel cards, but an hp with an atheros I'm interested in.  Working on getting a demo in, but was hoping you might have some real life experience somewhere in that mix.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.