Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Map 300 different VLANs to a SSID?

Hi Everyone,

I've just come across a situation where the customer requires to have their 300 different VLANs (they got 300 stores across AU) to be mapped to the same SSID. All the stores are in different subnets.

I know mapping multiple VLANs to a single SSID is doable by creating an interface group on the WLC that contains all of the required VLAN interfaces, then map the interface group to the SSID.

However, in this case, the customer is having a 5508 WLC, which supports a maximum of 64 interfaces per interface group. Even if it does support 300 interfaces per interafce group, I don't think creating 300 interfaces on the WLC is a good idea from a managment point of view.

So please give me some ideas about the solution in this situation.

Thanks you in advanced for your time and for sharing your wisdom.

Regards,

Nhan.

Everyone's tags (4)
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: Map 300 different VLANs to a SSID?

If the WLC is going to be centrally located you might want to look into flexconnect.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Here is an example.... the ap is connected to a trunk port and the ip address belongs to vlan 10, so the native vlan for that trunk port is vlan 10.

So on this AP, I will assign the Y115Secure to vlan 24 which is local to that site.  The Guest SSID will be tunned back to the WLC and placed on a local subnet where the WLC resides.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
16 REPLIES

If the WLC is going to be centrally located you might want to look into flexconnect.

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Nahan:

If you want each store needs to be in different subnet then you shouldn't use interface group. You need to use AP group.

Look inti this :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70wlan.html#wp1128591

HTH

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Steve hit the nail on the target with this one. HREAP the stores and call it a day.

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

I must agree also:)

Your design does requires H-REAP/FlexConnect.

-Scott

Thank you very much all of you, Stephen, Amjad, George and Scott.

I did some reading about the Flexconnect feature and it appeared to be the old HREAP groups feature.

So if I'm correct, the whole solution would be like this:

1. Create a new Interface "Store-Interface" on the WLC with the IP address in the Management VLAN, which would be in a different subnet from the stores.

2. Create a new SSID "Store-SSID" and map it to the "Store-Interface". This one is the single SSID that would be broadcasted at the 300 stores.

3. Create a new AP group "Store-APgroup" that is broadcasting the WLAN "Store-SSID".

4. Create a new HREAP group "Store-HREAPgroup" that contains the RADIUS server information for authentication.

5. To add a new AP for each store:

a. Make sure the DHCP server at the store is configured with option 43 pointing to the WLC address at the head office.

b. Enable H-REAP for the AP

c. Add the AP to "Store-APgroup" as well as "Store-HREAPgroup"

d. Configure the new AP as a client to the RADIUS server.

Another thing is that my understand was that for each AP to communicate back to the WLC, you need to create an interface on the WLC that is in the same subnet with the AP

But if the above solution was correct then I do not need to create multiple interfaces on the WLC at all!!! Was my understanding incorrect?

Thanks again in advanced for your time.

Regards,
Nhan.

Nhan,

All you need is one ssid. On that ssid, you enable flexconnect in the advanced tab. This will allow you to map the store ssid to a vlan local at that store. You don't need h-reap/flexconnect groups unless your using 802.1x. So it's pretty simple, keep your store vlan the same if possible, set the access point to h-reap/flexconnect. Then you need to set the native vlan which is the vlan the ap management ip is on and set your WLAN vlan mapping. The ap will be on a trunk port allowing the ap management vlan, which is also native vlan and the vlan for the store ssid.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you for your time again.

Sorry to bother you again, since I don't have a solid understanding of how Cisco WLC works so the solution still does not totally make sense to me.

After I map the store SSID to the VLAN that is local to the store, how can I map that SSID again to another VLAN that is local to another store?

Regards,
Nhan.

Each AP that is in H-REAP/FlexConnect will have an additional tab that allows you to specify configurations for that AP only.  So you would be able to set the WLAN to VLAN mapping per AP.

-Scott

Here is an example.... the ap is connected to a trunk port and the ip address belongs to vlan 10, so the native vlan for that trunk port is vlan 10.

So on this AP, I will assign the Y115Secure to vlan 24 which is local to that site.  The Guest SSID will be tunned back to the WLC and placed on a local subnet where the WLC resides.

-Scott

Thanks very much guys for your kind help.

Regards,
Nhan.

No problem... once you actually start configuring the ap's for flexconnect, you will understand.  Pretty simple once you actually see it.

-Scott

Hi guys,

I forgot something very important. An interface group on the 5508 WLC can have a maximum of 64 interfaces. Do AP Groups and H-REAP groups have such limitations as well?

Regards,

Nhan.

That's very different. You can lookup the various limitations for each feature.

-Scott

You don't need interfaces in the WLC for Flexconnect, you need interfaces on the WLC only if the traffic is using capwap to be tunneled all the way to datacenter.

You get an AP, go to customer store, document the vlan design... let's say they this is store number 1 and they use vlan 100 for wireless.

Connect the AP to the switch trunk set whatever native vlan you have.

Once the AP joined the controller, go to WIRELESS tab find that AP click on it and go to FLEXCONNECT TAB.

Click on VLAN mappings and set the vlan 100 for the CORP SSID or whatever SSID that would be:

here is how I have my SSID configured:

and here is the AP

next STORE would be the same, but you have to match the VLAN they use there for wireless, it's nice if you have it 100 but it's not required.

Thanks edon for your clarifications.

Regards,

Nhan.

ur more than welcome

Views
Helpful
Replies