cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

MFP Experiences?

estein
Level 1
Level 1

I'm wondering how people's experiences have been with MFP, after enabling it on the wireless controllers. How well does/did it work, has it caused any problems? (And what controller version were you running at the time?) I have Intel 2200BG and 3945ABG clients (running WPA + TKIP), and I'm wondering if MFP could cause more problems than it's worth.

3 Replies 3

ethiel
Level 3
Level 3

We had some significant issues with MFP with Intel clients. We did not track down the root cause, but disabling it seemed to remove many issues. I decided I would hold off re-enabling it for the time being.

If I remember correctly, the Intel was receiving a de-auth frame that it considered invalid because of MFP. This frame caused some versions of the Intel driver to wedge, and we had to disable/enable the nic to re-gain wireless access.

There is also limited benefits to MFP until more clients actually support it fully, so I think it will be more practical in a year or two. However, I would be curious as well to hear other feedback.

-Eric

Please remember to rate all helpful posts.

Hi

I am interested to know if there are any updates to this post from anyone on this forum.

Has anyone used this on a guest WLAN with anchor mobility?

Has the Intel issue been resolved?

Mark

Yeah we found a deauth issue with Intel 3945/4965 when running MFP (very noticable with session timeout configured, which triggers a deauth). We raised this with Intel and they saw the same and managed to fix it. Last I saw, it will be integrated in their WW10 2009 release.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card