Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Migrate WLC 4400 to WLC 5500

Hi experts,

I want to Migrate WLC 4400 with WLC 5500, But i don't know how to do this.

Should i create new configuration or use my  WLC 4400 config ?

I want to know about IOS for WLC 5500, should I upgrade my Access Point to connect with new WLC ?

I need a good method to migrate this WLC. So my WLC 5500 can run properly.

Thankyou for your help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

If your current access point code is not supported then you have to upgrade the access point. To check this you can see the compatibility list of WLC 5500. here is link for the same

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

You can Copy paste the configurations

are they same type of configuration file? there is no error when I copy the configuration??

I have no idea how Ravi's answer is considered "correct" when he didn't address the most important aspect of your thread.  

As far as I'm aware, you need to ensure both controllers are running the same firmware or 7.0.250.X. 

Take a copy or export the config of the 4400 configuration to your TFTP server.  Edit the file and change the necessary settings.  Go to the 5500 and download this configuration file.  Upgrade the firmware and the bootstrap if necessary.

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

If your current access point code is not supported then you have to upgrade the access point. To check this you can see the compatibility list of WLC 5500. here is link for the same

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/compatibility/matrix/compatibility-matrix.html

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't want to recreate the wheel here... there are many post regarding this.  Just search for:

Migrate WLC 4400 to WLC 5508

It's easy if you understand the commands, or else it may be easier for you just to configure the new 5508 from scratch.  Less chance of messing it up.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: