Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Migrating APs and WLCs to other subnets

At the moment we have 2 and WLCs with 50 licenses and almost 100 LAPs (with fixed IP-address and with configured controller address).

I want to move the WLCs to VLAN 150 (192.168.150.0/24) and the LAPs to VLAN (192.168.160/24). 

To do this do I need to change the fixed configuration of every AP to the correct IP-address and than place them in de correct VLAN and if all LAPs changed the IP-address of the controller and place him in correct VLAN? Our is there a easier way to do this.

I have read something about giving a option in the DHCP scope but I don't think that wil work in my situation because I have 2 controllers.

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

To do this do I need to

To do this do I need to change the fixed configuration of every AP to the correct IP-address and than place them in de correct VLAN and if all LAPs changed the IP-address of the controller and place him in correct VLAN? Our is there a easier way to do this.

Yes.  Allow the APs to get their IP address using DHCP.  

When you move your controllers to a different subnet, make sure you also change the DNS entry to reflect the new IP address of the controllers. 

VIP Purple

There are multiple ways of

There are multiple ways of doing this.

If you have WCS or Prime, you could push Primary Controller information to all you AP with new controller IP information (since it is not live, it won't affect AP). In this way one you change the WLC IP, AP will join your new controller as primary controller.

As Leo suggested you can use DNS or DHCP option 43 method as well. In DHCP option 43, you can give multiple controllers IP if you want. But if these two controllers are in same mobility group, irrespective of the option 43 config, AP will get to know about available controllers as long as they reach any one of your controller.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Bronze

Hi,yes to do this allow AP to

Hi,

yes to do this allow AP to get IP from DHCP and create a DHCP scope for each vlan and In this case, routing must be enabled to allow the clients to communicate with each other and WLCs.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content