Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Migrating from WiSM to 8510

Hello,

I'm going to be migrating my wireless controller from a WiSM module running 7.0.240.0 to a new 8510 which will be running the latest code 7.6.110.0. I would appreciate any help on the best game plan to make this happen as smoothly as possible. Required downtime isn't too big of an issue. Our AP's are mostly 1042n's and 1142n's with a few 1131AG's and 1262n's, which from what I can tell won't be an issue as of now. We currently have close to 200 AP's split between the 2 controllers on the WiSM.

I've never migrated a controller before so I'm not sure what the best approach to this will be, I realize there will be a hiccup since there is no way to run identical code on the old controller and the new. Would the best approch be to add the new controller's ip address to the High availability setting in the WiSM and then take the WiSM offline, let the AP's find the new controller and then download the latest image?

There will be no issues with bringing the new controller online before I'm ready to migrate the AP's to it correct?

Appreciate any help!

1 REPLY
VIP Purple

I have not done this by

I have not done this by myself. 

But general advise I could give is bring your 8510 up with different managment IP & configure it with SSIDs, dynamic interfaces & put it on to the same mobility group. Here is some best practices you can follow when configuring a WLC

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless-mobility/wireless-lan-wlan/82463-wlc-config-best-practice.html

Then take a small subset of AP & make 8510 as primary WLC for those. makesure everything is working as expected & then do a bulk cutover once you have tested services on your new controller.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Views
Helpful
Replies