Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Monitoring NON-Cisco Device using Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0

Hi,

I am trying to monitor our Checkpoint ,Fortigate Firewall and other non cisco devices in our network using Cisco Prime Infrastructure 2.0.

I have tried using SNMP V2 to manage all those devices. I am able to discover the devices but I could not see any information from the non cisco devices. Rechability is okay. FYI, the non cisco devices has already enable SNMP v2  and SNMP traps using their custom community string...

Is there any problem for Prime Infra 2.0 to monitor those non cisco devices? I read on forum that says PI2.0 can manage non-cisco device but did not state how to do it.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Everyone's tags (1)
10 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

You can only monitor devices

You can only monitor devices as long as they are Cisco. 

You may want to try SolarWinds.

Is this confirmed?If I am not

Is this confirmed?

If I am not wrong, I heard that you can use SNMP to monitor third party devices.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Of course you can.  I've got

Of course you can.  I've got workmates who are good at PERL and they've knocked themselves an application that can monitor all my APs using SNMP.  One feature I've enjoyed so much is PRE-PROVISIONING of APs even before the APs hit the network.  

Cisco Employee

FYI - With the latest

FYI -

With the latest Converged access and device pack, you can now monitor Meraki devices in PI2.2.

Tim

Silver

yes its true the Cisco prime

yes its true the Cisco prime only support Cisco devices and in a mutil vendors deployment you need other solution like solar winds, Ipswitch,spice works, Nagoss just to name a few

Is there a way to monitor the

Is there a way to monitor the 3rd party devices on cisco prime? How about creating monitoring template?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is there a way to monitor the

Is there a way to monitor the 3rd party devices on cisco prime? How about creating monitoring template?

Not even remotely possible.  Cisco PI uses SNMP to monitor devices, however, not all manufacturers have the same "standards" as Cisco.  What could be an SNMP OID value for Cisco  can be totally different to another manufacturer.   

So the answer is still "NO".

Oh my...this is not what I

Oh my...this is not what I expected. So what does the custom monitoring template for anyway if it is not for monitoring other non cisco devices. Hmmm...

Hi William,you can use the

Hi William,

you can use the custom snmp temples to determine the serialnumbers of that device. Unfortunately, there is no way to manage 3rd party traps at the moment, but hopefully in one of the next releases.

Does anyone knows how to do a

Does anyone knows how to do a custom snmp to monitor non cisco devices? Eg: Fortigate and Checkpoint??

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content