Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Move LAPs via HA

Good Morning All,

We run two models of WLC in our environment, 2504 and 5508. This past week I have been upgrading them to 7.4 to take advantage of the additional functionality, which has been great. However, I happened upon what I think is an irregularity (perhaps problem) and I wanted to run my process/understanding past you to see if perhaps this is an issue of me, "doing it wrong."

Since SSO isn't available on 7.2 (Not ever on 2504's as far as I've read), our HA setup is limited to a mobility group. During the upgrade I move the APs to the secondary controller via the HA tab for each access point, by configuring a primary controller. As I understand it, I can also do this globally through the access-point tab. However, I have never done this as the per AP HA settings have worked splendidly.

During my final upgrade pair (2504s) I was unable to get the access points to move to the secondary controller via the HA primary controller settings. I then configured the primary controller globally via the access-point tab. After reading, the global primary controller setting should have usurped the per-ap settings. However, that did not resolve anything and they continued to be part of the same controller. This should have been fine as the reboot during the code upgrade should have caued them to fail over. However, the WLC locked up during the code transfer. This same behavior was seen last week as we attempted to transfer a cert to the device which also caused it to lock up. This I will be taking up with Cisco in a TAC case. I digress...

I am inclined to believe the lack of AP transfer was a problem with the Controller in question as I have had absolutely zero problem doing this same thing with other versions of code, other models, and other 2504s..

Is there a better way to move APs from one controller to another? Or perhaps, is this is a case of a Controller with some irregularities and my SOP is correct?

• Security and Network Management
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

HiPls refer this  to see what

Hi

Pls refer this  to see what method take precedence in AP Failover

http://mrncciew.com/2013/04/07/ap-failover/ 

Primary, Secondary & Tertiary (AP HA setting) always takes precedence. In latest code, you do not want to have them in same mobility group, still you can failover.

In this setting you have to correctly configure both WLC name & IP address in order to work.

You can test this using a single test AP & see.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses. Every time you rate a response Cisco will donate $1 to Kiva ****

3 REPLIES
VIP Purple

HiPls refer this  to see what

Hi

Pls refer this  to see what method take precedence in AP Failover

http://mrncciew.com/2013/04/07/ap-failover/ 

Primary, Secondary & Tertiary (AP HA setting) always takes precedence. In latest code, you do not want to have them in same mobility group, still you can failover.

In this setting you have to correctly configure both WLC name & IP address in order to work.

You can test this using a single test AP & see.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses. Every time you rate a response Cisco will donate $1 to Kiva ****

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Is there a better way to move

Is there a better way to move APs from one controller to another? Or perhaps, is this is a case of a Controller with some irregularities and my SOP is correct?

I agree with Rasika.  The settings of the primary/secondary/tertiary controllers on a per-interface level takes precedence over the global configuration.  This means that if you have an incorrect settings then your APs won't move.  

The best way to move your APs is to via CLI and Excel.

Thank you for your

Thank you for your suggestions.

I logged into the device and took a look at the logging which is where I found that the device was rejecting CAPWAP sessions because it believed it had reached its maximum number of downloads (0). This lead me to check the licensing, since it should support our remote site standard of 25. Not only was the license not active, it is gone. I RMA'd this device before and went through a small email chain to get the licensing for this device so I'm not sure how it's missing, but I'll figure that out with a TAC case.

I tried your suggestion of the config advanced backup primary commands via the CLI but found the GUI method of setting a Primary/Secondary/Tertiary more intuitive and timely.However, your linked article and suggestions furthered my understanding of this platform, for which I thank you.

Views
Helpful
Replies