cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multi-Controllers/Multi-Version is this feasible?

z08mjk2374
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 4402 WLC running 7.x.x.x code. I also have some 1510 Mesh-LWAPs that require an old version of code. I need 4.1.192.22M for those. Is it possible to bring up a 3rd controller running this old code with the other 2 4402's running modern code? What will break? I know that anchoring and mobility might get messed up. What are the other caveats?

Thanks!

Mike

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anchoring won't work, neither will roaming between the "MESH" controller and the modern code.

Inter-Release Controller Mobility

When controllers in the mobility list are running different software releases (such as 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, and 6.0), Layer 2 or Layer 3 client roaming is not supported between GD to ED. It is supported only between controllers running the same and GD release such as 6.0 and 4.2.

Guest tunneling works only between controllers running the same software release or between controllers running software release 4.2 and controllers running any later software release (for example, 4.2 to 5.0, 4.2 to 5.1, 4.2 to 5.2, or 4.2 to 6.0). Guest tunneling does not work among controllers running other combinations of software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7.0.html#wp568458

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Anchoring won't work, neither will roaming between the "MESH" controller and the modern code.

Inter-Release Controller Mobility

When controllers in the mobility list are running different software releases (such as 5.0, 5.1, 5.2, and 6.0), Layer 2 or Layer 3 client roaming is not supported between GD to ED. It is supported only between controllers running the same and GD release such as 6.0 and 4.2.

Guest tunneling works only between controllers running the same software release or between controllers running software release 4.2 and controllers running any later software release (for example, 4.2 to 5.0, 4.2 to 5.1, 4.2 to 5.2, or 4.2 to 6.0). Guest tunneling does not work among controllers running other combinations of software.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7.0.html#wp568458

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I don't think there is anything outside the 2 mentioned .. Anchoring and mobility.

You can use the same L2 and L3 between both.

Wcs may be an issue. You would need to be on or at the highest code rev for the latest code you picked. Going that far back with the old code who knows if wcs might freak out.

Also support. If you call Tac they may be very subjective on what they can help you with ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin