Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Multicast Configuration question

In order to configure multicast-multicast mode on a WLC, I specify Multicast enabled and set a private LWAPP multicast IP under the General tab.

I have a different multicast IP set for Mobility Messaging.

Question 1

If I have two or more WLC controllers, do these LWAPP multicast mode IPs have to be different or should they be the same between controllers, say on a WISM? I guess I need a better understanding on how this LWAPP multicast IP address is used exactly, for example, if a client is a receiver for some other multicast feed, what relation does this LWAPP multicast IP have?

Everyone's tags (2)
3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hi,

It should be different.. not the same.. this IP is used for communication between the WLC and the AP.

Regards

Surendra

I think this answers your questions:

When you use controllers that run version 4.1 or earlier, you can use the same multicast address on all the controllers. If you use controllers that run version 4.2 or later, the LWAPP multicast group configured on the controllers must be different for each controller used on the network.

Reference: http://tiny.cc/uv1sgw

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
Cisco Employee

if a client is a receiver for some other multicast feed, what relation does this LWAPP multicast IP have?

client receiving actual multicast video/voice traffic can be sent from WLC to AP using the LWAPP multicast address if AP multicast mode is multicast otherwise it'll send as unicast from WLC to AP.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content