cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multiple AP Groups

skelley5000
Level 1
Level 1

I have and will have more multiple sites that are separate offices and will be using HREAP to each location. Each site like I said will be separate but will have the same SSID. I am assuming I will need separate AP groups, virtural interfaces and WLANS for each site?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

If your doing central switching, then your wlan ssid will be tunneled back to the wlc and be placed on vlan 111.  The AP's should be on a different vlan, so you have the ap's in each site on vlan 110, that should be fine.  This can be an access port vlan 110, since you are not doing any local switching.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First off, if the wlc is centralized and will be supporting all the remote sites, there is only one VIP address configuration on the wlc. The same with the wlan's. The wlan's is the SSID... You would want to have the same WLAN SSID at each site so users from one site can go to another site without having to add a new wireless profile.

AP Groups might not be required. If you plan on having the same SSIDs at each site, you really dont need to use ap groups. When an ap is in h-reap or FlexConnect mode, you define in the ap the vlan mapping. What SSID is mapped to what vlan at that site. If you want to only have certain SSIDs broadcasting at a site, then you use ap groups.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

here is an example, I have a site that I am assigning vlan 111 to the wireless, I assign the interface to that vlan, then also assign the AP's under the H-REAP tab to the same vlan. With out AP groups how do I get the SSID to broadcast on those AP's? then I have a site I will be assigning vlan 112 too, This site will also have the same SSID but different network.

If I am understanding this right, I will need to make an interface for each site because of the different vlans, then once I put the AP's in H-REAP mode I will need to assign them to the correct VLAN and this will broadcast the SSID?

By default, all wlans with wlan id 1-16 will be placed in the dafault-group.  This group will have all ssids that you create with wlan id 1-16.  So all these will be activeap's will default to the default-group.  You have to configure each h-reap/flexconnect ap to assign what wlan ssid you want to map to what vlan at the remote site.

AP Groups:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008073c723.shtml

H-REAP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a00807cc3b8.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

-Scott

What I am trying to avoid is having to create multiple AP groups, I will have multiple sites with the same SSID but will be on different vlans and networks.

if you are going to use HREAP for the sites, you don't need to create AP groups, just HREAP groups if you are using 802.1x.

All you need to do is map the appropriate VLAN for the AP at the site.

HTH,
Steve

-----------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

You don't need AP Groups... If your ap's are in h-reap, you need to manually configure each ap.  WLAN 1 is mapped to vlan 100, WLAN 2 is mapped to vlan 101, etc.  H-REAP is different form AP GRoups....

-Scott

Well right now we are not using 802.1x, just WPA2 AES. We need to use H-REAP because of the encryption abilities of H-REAP because we are a healthcare provider. We will be moving to 802.1x soon but that could be next year. Since we are not using 802.1x do we need to use AP groups?

You don't need to use AP Groups.

-Scott

Here is a video on h-reap.... this is what you need to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO2W8WQJ8Gs

-Scott

So basicly, I need to create the WLAN with the correct interface, Create an H-REAP group, place the AP's in the H-REAP group and assign the correct vlan ID on the AP?

Yup...

-Scott

Well... let me explain this... you don't need h-reap groups if your not doing 802.1x.  You only need to configure an ap to h-reap/flexconnect mode and then in the h-reap/flexconnect tab on the ap, you assign the native vlan and then hit aplly, then click on vlan mapping and then define what vlan locally will be ties to that wlan.  You need to make sure your wlan ssid is configured for h-repa/flexconnect local switching also.

-Scott

I gotcha, also there is no reason for us to use local switching, eveything will be central switching. There are no servers or printing at off site location. If they lose network conenctivity they lose everything anyways.

That brings up another question, our AP's are usually on a VLAN different than what the users are on, example the clients network is on vlan 111 and the AP is on 110. So the interface will be on vlan 111, Hreap vlan should be 110?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card