Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multiple Authentication Method using single SSID

Hi,

I would like to know that Cisco offer any Wireless Solution where can i use Single SSID solution with support of multiple authentication methods in an enterprize wireless network ?

Scenario is that i want to implement only one SSID for entire Global Wireless network with multiple Authentication methods. and also i want to deploy identity based admission control to connect roaming users back to home network.

Thanks in Advanced.

Regards,

Prashant Gondaliya

Thanks, Prashant Gondaliya
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok, I understand now.  If you have the same SSID at all locations, a user should be able to connect to the network with no changes to their laptop no matter if they are in Hong Kong, Canada, Chile, or the Bahamas.  This currently works for me, no matter what office i go into, when my laptop sees the 'corporate' ssid, I connect and get an address.

So long as the laptop can hear the SSID it is configured for it will connect, with whichever security you set PSK/802.1x etc. 

For the configuration of the WLAN, below is a link to the 7.0 configuration guide.  In the overview it goes over the different layer 2 authentications you can configure with the same SSID.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70wlan.html#wp1084727

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

For the multiple authentication method piece, the Cisco Wireless Lan Controller can do this.

With the WLC, you can configure the same SSID with different encryption types, by using different profile names.

As for 'roaming users', can you clarify a little bit what you mean? 

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Stephen,

Thanks a lot for prompt response.

Can you please provide any document where i can read about configuration of Single SSID with different authentication methods.

For Roaming Users; i want to know that user can travel anywhere globally and connect without make any changes in laptop wireless configurations. if possible, please share the documents for that also.

Thanks,

Prashant Gondaliya

Ok, I understand now.  If you have the same SSID at all locations, a user should be able to connect to the network with no changes to their laptop no matter if they are in Hong Kong, Canada, Chile, or the Bahamas.  This currently works for me, no matter what office i go into, when my laptop sees the 'corporate' ssid, I connect and get an address.

So long as the laptop can hear the SSID it is configured for it will connect, with whichever security you set PSK/802.1x etc. 

For the configuration of the WLAN, below is a link to the 7.0 configuration guide.  In the overview it goes over the different layer 2 authentications you can configure with the same SSID.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70wlan.html#wp1084727

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Are you planning to have the same SSID with different encryption/authentication method setup at all locations? The reason I ask is because if you are doing only have the SSID for 802.1x in china, wpa/tkip PSK in US and wpa2/aes in London.... Many clients don't allow multiple SSID configurations. So if your laptop or iPad is using 802.1x in china, you can't go to any other country without having to change the wireless profile. So now do you broadcast multiple SSIDs in all locations? I would think that you would see the client freak out especially when roaming. Your best bet is to create a standard global SSID that all users will have and start to migrate users on.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for your response with perfect answer. I got the proper answer for my query.

Thanks a lot for your prompt response and help.

Prashant

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card